Also visit our Walmer Parish page
We are sorry, there is no Online Parish Clerk for this parish.
We have no other information or data for this parish except what is accessed by or detailed on this page.
If you wish to volunteer for this post or have data you wish to contribute, please use the appropriate link at the bottom of this page.
Deal is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of Sandwich. The church is named for St. Leonard with registers commencing 1559.
Deal, a town, a parish, and a sub-district in Eastry district, Kent. The town stands on the coast, near the southern extremity of the Downs, opposite the Goodwin Sands, at the terminus of a branch of the Southeastern railway, with telegraph, 5 miles south-south-east of Sandwich. It may have been the place of Caesar’s landing 55 years before the Christian era; it was known at Domesday as Addelam; it was the place of Perkin Warbeck’s landing in 1495; it received Anne of Cleves, after her voyage, in 1540; it was attacked by Prince Charles in 1648; it belt an earthquake shock in 1692; and it was the landing place of Adelaide, the Queen of William IV.
It is a municipal borough, a member of the parliamentary borough and Cinque port liberty of Sandwich, a bonding port, a coast guard and pilot station, a seat of petty sessions, and a watering place.
It comprises three parts, Lower, Middle and Upper; consists chiefly of three long narrow streets, parallel with the beach; and adjoins, on the south, the village of Walmer, the deathplace of the Duke of Wellington. Lower Deal contains the bulk of the population; and has a head post office, with a savings banks and a money order office, of the name of Deal. Upper Deal stands on a hill, above Middle Deal; was the original village; and has a post office under Deal.
Deal castle, like the neighbouring ones of Sandown and Walmer, was built by Henry VIII.. For defence of the coast; and consists of a central circular keep and four round bastions, with numerous modern additions.
There are a custom house, a watch house, and a pilot house. An assembly room was erected in 1865. The town hall, in Lower Deal, is a spacious edifice of 1863; and contains portraits of William III. and William IV..
St. Leonard’s church, in Upper Deal, is an ancient structure, with some Norman fragments. St.George’s church, in Lower Deal, was built in 1715; and is very rude. St. Andrew’s church, in West Street, was built in 1850. The General Baptist Chapel was built, in the time of the Commonwealth, by Samuel Tavernor, governor of the castle. The Independent chapel was built soon after the ejectment of 1662. There are five other dissenting chapels, charities £14, two banking offices and several chief inns. Markets are held on Saturdays; and fairs on 6 April and 11 Oct.. Two weekly newspapers are published; and a provision trade, sail making, and boat building are carried on.
A new pier on iron piles, stretching 920 feet out to sea, 20 feet wide generally, but 40 feet wide at the head, with an average depth there of 10 feet at low-water spring tides, and the platform 13 feet above high-water mark, was constructed in 1862 and following years. The adjacent roadstead of the Downs, sheltered by the Goodwin sands, is a rendezvous of the East India and other fleets. Ten vessels, of aggregately 254 tons, belonged to the port at the beginning of 1863; four, of aggregately 442 tons, entered in 1858, from foreign countries; 160, of aggregately 12,549 tons, entered, in 1858, coastwise; and 16, of aggregately 1,113 tons, entered, in 1862, from foreign countries. The amount of customs in 1858 was £1,804; in 1867, £2,706.
The town was chartered by William III.; and made a member of Sandwich parliamentary borough by the Reform Act. The municipal borough is conterminate with the parish; and is governed by a mayor, six aldermen, and eighteen councilors.
William Boys, the antiquary, and Mrs. Carter were natives.v
The parish comprises 1,167 acres of land and 50 of water. Real property in 1860, £22,213. Population in 1861, 7,531. Houses, 1,589. The property is much subdivided. St. Leonard’s living is a rectory, and St. George and St. Andrew are perpetual curacies in the diocese of Canterbury. Value of St. Leonard, £429 with a habitable glebe house; of St. George £208; of St. Andrew, not reported. Patron of all, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The sub-district contains seven parish and part of another. Acres, 8,754. Population in 1851, 12,105. Houses, 2,304.1 http://www.kent-opc.org This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young. Last Modified:
1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales. (London, England: A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).
Please note that any active links, in the records' section below, appear in larger bold typeface and will underline when you hover your mouse on one.
Land Records &
Contacts: Volunteer Donations & Gifts Website issues Advertising
Administrator, Kent OPC for all other enquiries
The parish comprises 1,167 acres of land and 50 of water. Real property in 1860, £22,213. Population in 1861, 7,531. Houses, 1,589. The property is much subdivided.
St. Leonard’s living is a rectory, and St. George and St. Andrew are perpetual curacies in the diocese of Canterbury. Value of St. Leonard, £429 with a habitable glebe house; of St. George £208; of St. Andrew, not reported. Patron of all, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The sub-district contains seven parish and part of another. Acres, 8,754. Population in 1851, 12,105. Houses, 2,304.1
http://www.kent-opc.org This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young. Last Modified: