St. Lawrence Church is a large building, consisting of a nave, two aisles, and three chancels, with a square tower, which rises from four massive columns between the nave and high chancel. The tower and part of the body are Norman; the outside of the former is ornamented with ranges of small semi-circular arches, springing from plain octagonal pillars. Here are the following monuments.
In the chancel on the east wall
A marble tablet for Mary Rebecca, second daughter of Col. Cony, of Walpole Hall, Norfolk who died 27th Feb. 1836, aged 60.
Also John Siclemore, Esq. of Wetheringsett, Suffolk, who died 5th Feb. 1837, aged 81.
On the south wall
A monument for Nathaniel Austen, of Ramsgate, Esq. obiit 4 Aug. 1818, aet. 73.
A beautiful marble monument to Margaret, wife of the Rev. Martin Read, and daughter of John and Mary Curling, of Chilton, who departed this life 16th Dec. 1753, aged 44; also two infant children of the above; also Capt. Martin Read, who died 21st Dec. 1792, aged 83; likewise Mary, wife of the above Capt. Martin Read, who died 15th May, 1806, aged 63; also Catherine, wife of J. G. Snowden, and daughter of Mary and Ric. Tomson, who died Aug. 24, 1837, aged 30.
Another for Capt. Martin Long, who died May 6th, 1751, aged 65; also Mrs. Elizabeth Long, sister of Capt Martin Long, who died 27th Aug. 1753, aged 58; also Catherine Abbot, widow of Mr. W. Abbot, who died 2d January, 1779, aged 87; and Martin Abbot, son of the Rev. W. Abbot and Jane his wife, who died March 17th, 1793, aged 17; also Elizabeth Long Abbot, youngest daughter of the Rev. Wm. Abbot and Jane his wife, born Feb. 13th, 1783, died Sept. 6th, 1810.
White Rococo marble wall plaque for Margaret Read, d.1753.
Half-relief of a woman to the memory of Henrietta Elizabeth Froude, d.1879. She was the wife of James Anthony Froude, the great nineteenth-century historian.
A beautiful black marble monument to Capt. Thos. Redwood, obiit March 14, 1754, aet. 83; also Thomasin, wife of the above, obiit March 28, 1755, aet. 82.
A brass of a lady, 28 inches, for Joan St. Nicholas, d.1493, reset on wall of south chapel.
On the north side
A marble tablet to Robert Smith, Esq. of Upton House, Kent, who died 25th May, 1810, aged 32.
A monument for Sarah, wife of Mr. Adam Spencer, who died July 2d, 1745; aged 57; also the above Mr. Spencer, merchant, who died 23d May, 1757, aged 68; also Anne Spencer, relict of Capt. Geo. Spencer, youngest son of the above Adam Spencer, who died 6th Dec. 1821, aged 95; also Geo. Hardy, Esq. who died 18th Aug. 1786, aged 67; and Ann his wife (daughter of Mr. Spencer) who died 1st March 1795, aged 76; also two infant children of Geo. Inkner Hardy, Esq..
Below this, a table to Ann, wife of Wm. Spencer, Esq. and daughter of the above Geo. and Ann Spencer, who died 25th March, 1823, aged 64.
A monument to the Rev. Wm. Abbot, B.D. of Ramsgate, Prebendary of York, formerly Fellow and Tutor of St. John's College, Cambridge, obiit 15 Jan. 1826, aet. 92; also Jane his wife, obiit 28 March 1814, aet. 72.
Also a table to Ann, wife of Gilbert Bedford of Newlands Grange, who died 23d March 1837, aged 48.
In the nave
A brass for Adam Sprakeling, Gent. 2d son of Sir Adam Sprakeling, Knt. obiit 1615.
Another for Sir Adam Sprakeling, Knt. son of Rob. Sprakeling, Gent. obiit 7 April, 1610, aet. 58.
A stone for the Rev. Peter James, M.A. late of Greenwich, Kent, Rector of Ightham, who died July 15, 1791, aged 53.
Gothick recess in western wall of the nave to Thomas Noel Hay, d. 1861
On the other side
A table for Jane, wife of Francis Freeling, Esq. who died 4th May, 1796, aged 33.
Another neat tablet to Elizabeth, 6th daughter of Geo. Wade of Dunmow, Essex, Gent. and Frances Barbara his wife, who died 13 March, 1819, aged 16, at the house of her uncle-in-law, the Rev. Ric. Hardy, Vicar of this parish.
On the south side
A small tablet for Mary Kemp, who died 4th Dec. 1828; she bequeathed the following legacy, viz. the sum of £1000 three per cent. consols unto her executors, John and Rob. Garrett, their executors, administrators and assigns, upon trust to receive the dividends thereof, and distribute them yearly, on the 15th January, in equal proportions, to six of the most deserving poor persons, either male or female, being of the age of 65 or upwards, residing in the Parish of St. Lawrence.
Another for John Earl of Dunmore, who died 25th Feb. 1809, aged 78; he was the son of Wm. Earl of Dunmore, grandson of John Duke of Athol, the eighth in descent from John Earl of Athol, eldest son of the marriage of Jane, Queen of Scotland wth James Stuart, Lord of Lorn; Q. Jane was grand-daughter of Edward III. King of England. Charles Murray, the first Earl of Dunmore's mother, was Amelia Stanley, Lady of the Isle of Man, daugher of James Earl of Darby and of Charlotte De la Tremoille, the daughter of Charles of Nassau and of Charlotte of Bourbon, Princess of the Blood Royal of France.
On the north side of the north aisle
A tablet for the Rt. Hon. Elizabeth Baroness Conyngham, who died Oct. 31st, 1814, aged 83.
Another for Harry Farnall, a Captain in the Royal Navy, who died at Ramsgate, 29th March 1806, aged 30.
Below this, one to the Hon. Catherine Fermor, relict of the Rev. John Thurley Fermor, obiit April 3, 1814.
A black marble tablet to Lady Augusta Murray, second daughter of John fourth Earl of Dunmore, married at Rome, the 4th April, 1793, to his Royal Highness Prince Augustus Frederick Duke of Sussex; and died at Ramsgate, March 4th, 1830.
Also a monument for Alexander Brymer, Esq. of Bathwick, in the county of Somerset, formerly one of his Majesty's Councils for Nova Scotia, obiit 7th Aug. 1822, aet. 76.
A table to Henry Crathorne, Esq. of Crathorne, in the County of York, born 1st January, 1757, and died 5th Dec. 1797.
Another for Peter Thoroton, LL.B. born 1763, died 1817.
Also one to Captain Joseph Norwood, R.N. obiit 10 May, 1793, aet. 66.
A monument for Frances Coppin, daughter of Robert Brooke, of Nacton, in the county of Suffolk, Esq. wife of Thomas Coppin, Esq. obiit 1667, aet 54.
Also, white and black marble wall plaque for Robert Brooke, d.1667.
Segmental pediment and cherub for Catherine Talman, died 1731.
A half relief sarcophagus and urn for Alexander Bryner, died 1822, signed H. Cull.
Also one for Rear-Admiral Wm. Fox, obiit Dec. 3d, 1810, aet. 77; this monument is erected by H.R.H. Prince William Henry, Duke of Clarence and St. Andrew's, and Earl of Munster, K.G. and K. T. Admiral of the Red Squadron and of his Majesty's Fleet, from a sincere regard for the character of the late Rear Admiral, and from the uninterrupted friendship which subsisted for 31 years.
A brass, the figure of a man in armour, 34 inches long, for Nicholas Manston - 1441. [Note: reset on wall of south chapel.]
A monument to William Rogerson, d.1782, painted Arms and gadrooned urn.
On the west wall, in the south aisle
A tablet to Samuel Vince, M.A., F.R.S. Archdeacon of Bedford, and Plumian Professor of Astronomy in the University of Cambridge, obiit 28 Nov. 1821, aet. 72.
On the south wall, in the aisle
A marble tablet for Henry Stephenson Ashton, Esq. of Walthamstow, Essex, who died 23d Jan. 1823, aged 36.
A monument to Mary, wife of John Gibson of Ramsgate, and daughter of George Curling, Esq. of Essex, who died 21st Aug. 1785, aged 26. Neat plaque, wreathed Arms and festooned plaque on Rococco scrolled base
A tablet for Elizabeth Colingridge, who died 14th Feb. 1833, aged 60.
On the north side
A tablet to Richard Warburton Lytton, F.R.S. of Knebworth Park, Herts, and of this place; he was born 6th September, 1745, and died 29th Dec. 1810.
Another for Thomasine Girdler, widow, last srviving daughter of the late Bellingham Mantevrici, of London, Esq. who died 3d March, 1833, aged 75.
A monument for Martha Shorte, widow of Darell Shorte, Jun. Esq. of Wadhurst, in Sussex, and daughter of Sir Robert Kemp, Bart. late of Upperston, in the County of Suffolk, who died 27th Sept. 1789, aged 77.
Also a tablet for Anna Eliza Wilson, daughter of William Worcester Wilson, D.D. late Vicar of Deptford; she died 26th March, 1792, aged 26.
Source: C. Greenwood, comp. Epitome of County History, vol. 1, County of Kent. (London, England: privately printed, 1838).