A View of the Parish
Your Online Parish Clerk for Snodland is:
She can be reached via email at:
debra buchanan "at" m2data. com .au
(Replace "at" with the @ symbol and remove all extraneous spaces.)
Snodland is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Rochester, in the archdeaconry of Rochester and St. Albans and in the deanery of Rochester. The church is named All Saints with registers commencing 1559.
Snodland is a village and a parish in Malling district, Kent. The village stands on the river Medway and the North Kent railway, 5-1/2 miles south-south-west of Rochester; and has a rail station with telegraph, and a post office under Rochester with a money order office and a savings bank.
The parish contains also the hamlets of Paddlesworth, Holborough and Rockery. Acres, 2,072. Real property in 1860 £3,887. Population in 1851, 625; in 1861, 1,078. Houses 198. The increase of population arose from employment in a paper manufactory, and in limeworks.
Holborough Court is the seat of W. Lee, Esq.. A hill above Holborough was ancient fortified, and commands an extensive view. A tesselated pavement and other Roman remains were discovered near the river in 1869.
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value £297 with a habitable glebe house. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church contains portions from early English to perpendicular; and includes Roman bricks and tiles in its walls.
There are and Independent chapel, a literary institution, a national school, an endowed school, and charities of £40.1
1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales. (London, England: A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).