||10 Dec 1823
||Maidstone, Kent, England 
||Young Family Kent Ancestry
||19 May 2007 23:41:30 |
||George HODGES, c. 4 Nov 1795, Maidstone, Kent, England |
||Sarah HILLS, b. Abt 1796/1797, Maidstone, Kent, England |
||Sarah, b. Abt 1824, Maidstone, Kent, England |
| ||1. Edward HODGES, b. Abt 1846, Maidstone, Kent, England |
| ||2. James W. HODGES, b. Abt 1848, Maidstone, Kent, England |
| ||3. Thomas G. HODGES, b. Abt Dec 1850, Maidstone, Kent, England |
- So, by way of chronology we now have the following:
1818 George Hodges apprentices with Walter & Robert Hills as a baker
NOTE that in 1817 a James Hodges apprenticed with Jeremiah Aldridge as a hoyman
1826 Emma Hodges is christened to George and Sarah on July 16, George described simply as a labourer at Maidstone (his apprenticeship would likely not yet be completed in 1826)
1832 George Hodges is included as a freeman with house and premises living on Week Street
1835 George Hodges appears on list of freeman having apprenticed 1818 at Maidstone
1841 have not yet found George on census
1841 Jeffery Street - Sarah Hodges, 40, grocer living with daughter Emma, 15,
1841 Stone Street (D3, East Maidstone District, page 2)
Robert Hills, 50, baker
Sarah Hills, 35
Joseph Hills 11
Charles Hills 8
Mary Ann HODGES, 15, female servant
Thomas Edwin HODGES, 15, baker
Samuel Bonner, 20 Baker
James Fuller Tranch, 25, baker
George Woollett, 15, manual servant
Interesting that there should be two Hodges children living with Robert Hills, the baker, on Stone Street. I am seriously considering that this is the Robert Hills, or a son of the man, with which George apprenticed. I bet George was either away on business or away at a TB hospital in 1841 but had been living at the baker's shop on Stone Street and that Mary Ann and Thomas Edwin Hodges are two more of George and Sarah's children.
The 1851 census of Maidstone reveals in D1c p45, #176, Waterside, West Maidstone the following family:
Thomas E. Hodges, aged 27, baker born Maidstone
Sarah Hodges, wife aged 27 born Maidstone
Edward, son, 5 years old, born Maidstone
James W., 3 years old, born Maidstone and
Thomas G., son, aged about 4 months, born Maidstone
Also in 1851 there is at 3 Cottage Court, West Maidstone, D1g, page 8, #32, Mary A. Hodges, unmarried, 28 years old a laundress and head of her own household. Also at 36 Brunswick St., West Maidstone, D1g, page 35, #147, is a John Hodges who was also a baker aged 24 and born Maidstone.
Thomas E. Hodges shows up on the 1881 census index as a journeyman baker a lodger living with William S. Mason and his sons on 65 Wheeler Street. Unfortunately. Mr. Mason is a widower but he is also a journeyman baker.
Thomas E. Hodges is 56 years born Maidstone, married with wife Elizabeth, a laundress aged 50 born London. No children are shown and I will attempt to find Thomas in 1891 as well.
The 1891 Maidstone census shows Thomas E. Hodges living as a boarder with Mary Wood and her grandson Edward William Selby. Thomas was a widower aged 68 born at Maidstone and a baker. The address was 42 Borley Road, District 13, page 13 enumeration number 93. Mary Wood was a widow aged 67 and lodging housekeeper born at East Malling. Her grandson was 12 born at London.
- [S17] 1841 Census, England, Office of National Statistics, General Register Office, Kew, Surrey, England, (U.S.A., Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah), LDS Film #0306882, Stone Street, D3, East Maidstone District, page 2, 6 Jun 1841.
Stone Street, East Maidstone:
Robert Hills, head, married, 50, baker, born in county
Sarah, 35, born in county
Joseph, 11, born in county
Charles, 8, born in county
Samuel Bonner, 20, baker, born in county
James Fuller Tranch, 25, Baker, born in county
George Woollet, 15, manual servant, born in county
Mary Ann Hodges, 15, female servant, born in county
Thomas Edwin Hodger, 15, baker, born in county
- [S41] 1851 Census, England, Office of National Statistics, General Register Office, Kew, Surrey, England, (U.S.A., Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah), LDS Film #0193518, D1c p45, #176, Waterside, West Maidstone, 30 Mar 1851.
- [S54] 1881 Census, England, Office of National Statistics, General Register Office, Kew, Surrey, England, (U.S.A., Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah), LDS Film #1341222, RG11/0931, folio 110, page 21, Maidstone, 3 Apr 1881.
65 Wheeler Street, Maidstone:
William S. Mason, head, widower, 50, journeyman baker, born at Maidstone
George W. Mason, son, 16, gardener, born at Maidstone
Edward C. Mason, son, 12, scholar, born at Maidstone
Thomas E. Hodges, lodger, married, 56, journeyman baker, born at Maidstone
Elizabeth Hodges, wife, married, 50, laundress, born at London, London, Middlesex
- [S10] 1891 Census, England and Wales, Office of National Statistics, General Register Office, Kew, Surrey, England, (U.S.A., Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah), LDS Fiche #42 Borley Road, District 13, E. D. 93, page 13, 5 Apr 1891.
- [S36] Parish Register, England, Kent: Church of England, Canterbury Cathedral Archives, (U.S.A., Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah), Maidstone, Kent, England LDS Film #1835448, 10 Dec 1823.
George's occupation was recorded as being a 'baker'.