Royal Tunbridge Wells
Show All «Prev 1 2  4 5 6 7 Next»
Tunbridge Wells, 34-1/2 miles from London
Hotels: Calverley, near the S.E. Railway Station
Royal Mount Ephraim
Wellington these three on Mount Ephraim, with view of the Common;
Spa Hotel, facing he Commons, with baths and extensive grounds including a golf-course
Molyneux Park Private Hotel
Grand (formerly Royal Kentish), facing the Common;
Carlton, Bridge Road;
Norfolk, Church Road
Alexandra, temperance hotels;
Swan Castle, commercial,
In the vicinity: Camden, at Pembury
Hand & Sceptre, at Southborough
Numerous boarding houses and lodgings.
Railway stations, S.E. & C.R. station near the top of High Street
L.B.S.C. Station, Bridge Road, near the Pantiles
Cabs: per mile, 1st class (1-5 persons) 1s., 2nd class (1-4 persons) 10d.; each additional 1/2 mile 6d., 5d.; per hour 3s., 2s. Between midnight and 6 a.m. fare and a half. Luggage up to 100 lbs. free
Post office, Vale Road - Baths in Monson Road and at the Spa Hotel. Open Air swimming baths, at the foot of Quarry Road.
Opera House, at the top of Mount Pleasant - a band plays in the Pantiles (12-1 p.m. and 7-9 a.m.) etc. daily in summer.
Tunbridge Wells, one of the most popular inland watering places in Englnd, with 33,373 inhabitants is finely situated in a hilly district on the borders of Kent and Sussex, and owes its present favour rather to its pretty surroundings and invigorating air than to its somewhat weak chalybeate springs. The springs were discovered by Lord North about 1606, nd Tunbridge soon became a fashionable watering place. Somehat later it seems to have been a favourite resort of the Puritans, who have left traces of their particiliaty in such names as Mount Ephraim and Mount Zion; and it is still specially affected by adherents of the Evangelical school. The season is at its height in August and September.
The most prominent artchitectrual feature of the town is the Pantiles or Parade, deriving its name from the earlier style of pavement. Many of the houses in the parade are very quaint and picturesue; and it is still, as in the days of Queen Anne and the Georges, the favourtie promenade of the visitors. It also contains many of the best shops, including several for the sale of "Tunbridge Ware:, of small articles in wood-mosiac. The Assembly Rooms, or Great Hall, are opposite the S.E. Station; the Pump Room is at one end and the chief =mineral springa t the other end of the Pantiles (water 1d. per glass, 2s. per week). In the Town Hal, in Calverley Road, is preserved Nelson's original memorandum of his plan of atack at Trafalgar (shown daily 10-4, Sat. 10-2; adm. 1s. on Tues., Thurs., & Sat., other days free).
The environs of Tunbridge Wells are undulating and beautifully wooded, affording charming rambles in every direction. The soil dries quickly after rain. The favourite short walks are to the Toad Rock, on Rushall Common, 1 m. to the west and to the High Rocks (adm. 6d.) 1-1/4 mile to the southwest, both good examples of the fntastic shapes assumed by sandstone rocks in the process of unequal disintegration. A round of about 3-1/2 miles will include both.
Penshurst Place, 6 miles to the northwest, may be reached by railway via Tonbridge. Walkers however, will find the route via Bidborough very pleasant; and they may extend their excursion to Hever and Edenbridge, returning from the last by trains. - About 6 miles to the southeast lies Bayham Abbey and about 2 miles farther on is Lamberhurst. The return walk may be shortened by taking the trains from Frant. - A very pleasant round may be made as follows: We follow the road leading south from the Wells to (2 miles) Frant, and walk thence to the west across Eridge Park (Marquis of Abergavenny: castle not shown), and past the Eridge Rocks (open to visitors on Fri.) at Eridge Green, to (2-1/2 miles) Eridge station. Or we may turn to the northwest at Eridge Green and cross Broadwater Wood, either to *(w miles) Groombridge or to the (2 miles) High Rocks. - Excursion to Bodiam Castle, from Robertsbridge.
The little town of Southborough, halfway between Tunbridge Wells (omnibuses) and Tonbridge, also possesses a chalybeate spring and is frequented by those who wish quieter and somewhat cheaper quarters.
From Tunbridge Wells to Eastbourne (Sussex), 30 miles, railway in 1-1/2 hour (fares 4s, 9d., 3s., 2s. 3-1/2d.) - 3 miles Groombridge, the junction of lines to Three Bridges, Lewes and Edenbridge, Croydon and London. - 6 miles Bridge - 11 miles Mayfield, a village with some quaint timbered houses and an old Palace of the Archibishops of Canterbury, now a nunnery (adm. 3-4). This was a favourite residence of the archbishops from Dunstant (d. 988) to Cranmer (d. 1556) and dates mainly from about 1350, with later additions. The Great Hall, now the Chapel, is nearly 70 feet long. - 22-1/2 miles Hailsham, 3-1/4 miles to the west of Hurstmonceaux; - 25 miles Polegate Junction; - 30 miles Eastbourne.
From Tunbridge Wells to Brighton, 32 miles, railway in 1-2 hours (fares 4s 10d., 3s 3d., 2s 6d.). This route diverges to the right of the Eastbourne line beyond (5 miles) Bridge - 8-1/2 miles Crowborough (Crowborough Beacon Hotel: Crest Hotel), a high-lying summer resort with excellent golf-links. - 15-1/2 miles Uckfield, an agricultural town (2,497 inhabitants). - 20-1/2 miles Barcombe Mills - 24 miles Lewes. Thence to (32 miles) Brighton.
||Baedeker's England |
Show All «Prev 1 2  4 5 6 7 Next»