Kent horse.gif - 2985 Bytes

Walmer Parish


Kent Online Parish Clerks

Do you have a photograph of the church that you would like to see posted here?  Email me.

Local Families link Photographs link Parish News link

Go to Deal Parish page

 

A View of the Parish

Your Online Parish Clerk for Walmer is:  VACANT.  

Walmer is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of Sandwich.  The church is named for St. Mary with registers commencing 1560.

Walmer, a small town and a parish in Eastry district, Kent.  The town stands on the coast;  consists of two parts – Lower Walmer adjoining Deal and Upper Walmer, 1-3/4 mile south of Deal rail station;  contains Walmer Castle, infantry barracks, cavalry barracks, a quondam naval hospital now marine barracks, and a house which was tenanted by the Duke of Wellington during the time of Sir Arthur Wellesley;  is a sea-bathing resort;  and has post offices of Walmer with a savings banks and a money order office and Walmer Road, also with a savings banks and a money order office, under Deal, two churches, a garrison school and a national school.

Walmer Castle stands at nearly the southeastern extremity of the parish;was built by Henry VIII. as a block house;  had the same form and design as the neighbouring and contemporaneous castles of Deal and Sandown;  became soon the official residence of the Lord Wardens of the Cinque Ports;  has been greatly altered from its original form;  commands, from the windows of its principal apartments, a splendid sea view;  contains a small room in which William Pitt, as Lord Warden held frequent conferences with Lord Nelson;  was the autumn residence of the Duke of Wellington, as Lord Warden, from 1829 till his death in 1852;  contains the room, considerably altered, in which the Duke died;  was visited, for 23 days in November 1842, by the Queen;  and was occupied in 1848 by Earl Granville.

The barracks were built in 1795;  occupy an area of 22 acres, have accommodation for 1,100 infantry and a troop of horse;  and, at the census of 1861, had 1,149 inmates.

The naval hospital was originally constructed simply as an hospital, for 250 patients;  was converted, after the Crimean war, into a barrack for marines;  and, at the census of 1861, was untenanted.

The parish church is partly Norman and richly decorated;  but includes a remarkable square addition of 1826.

St. Saviour’s church is a chapel of ease, built in 1849.

The parish comprises 939 acres of land and 140 of water.  Real property in 1860, £9,002.  Population in 1851, 2,616;  in 1861, 3,275.  Houses, 434.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value, £240.  Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury.1
1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales.  (London, England:  A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).

 

Church Registers Census Parish Records Wills &
Court Records


  • 1801-1831

  • 1841

  • 1851

  • 1861

  • 1871

  • 1881

  • 1891

  • 1901

  • Settlement Certificates
  • Removal Orders
  • Bastardy Examinations
  • Parish-assisted Immigrants
  • Churchwarden's Accounts
  • Overseer's Accounts
  • Surveyor's Accounts
  • Workhouse Records
  • Pew Rents
  • Donors' Rolls
  • Vestry Minutes
  • Bishops' Visitations
  • Parish Magazines
  • Parish Histories

  • AD index 1448-1857
  • CC index 1448-1857
  • PCC 1338-1858
  • PPR 1858-1925
  • Depositions
  • Petty Sessions
  • Police Court
  • Quarter Sessions
  • Militia Lists
  • Muster Rolls
  • Description Books
  • Tithe Apportionment c1830s
  • Transportations
  • Protestation Rolls c1641-1643
  • Oaths of Allegiance c1720s
Tax Lists Directories Land Records &
Maps
Other

  • Poll Tax
  • Hearth Tax
  • Window Tax
  • Hair Powder Tax
  • Land Tax Assessments 1780-1831
  • Land Tax Assessments 1799-1805


  • Parish Map
  • Deeds, Mortgages, etc.
  • Rated Property Returns
  • Returns of owners of land, 1873
  • Manor Court Baron
  • Manor Tenancy Rolls
  • Manors, Castles & Holdings of Significance

 
footer divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes
  http://www.kent-opc.org    

Contacts:  Volunteer   Donations & Gifts   Website issues   Advertising   Administrator, Kent OPC for all other enquiries   

© 2008 Kent Online Parish Clerks, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.

This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young and last modified:  10/15/2008 4:41:41 PM

 
end page divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes