Kent horse.gif - 2985 Bytes

Leigh Photographs

Kent Online Parish Clerks

Element in navigation bar Local Families link Element in navigation bar Link back to parish page Element in navigation bar Parish News link Element in navigation bar


The church is ancient;  had once a chantry;  was recently restored;  had formerly no tower, but has now a new one;  and contains a curious brass without name or date, and two other brasses.
Front view of Leigh Church in Kent


Side view of Leigh Church in Kent From 1860 through 1861 the church underwent considerable reconstruction.  Notice the difference in stone used throughout the building.  Apparently this situation came to be as the result of two different architects having been employed to see to the reconstruction of different portions of the church: the chancel being the responsibility of the Lay Rector, at that time Lord de Lisle, and the parish being responsible for the remainder of the building.  Lord de Lisle contracted with George Devey for certain work.  But, the parish contracted with Charles Baily, a cousin of Thomas Farmer Baily, the owner of Hall Place.  The two architects used different types of stone in their respective works.
footer divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes
Contacts:  Volunteer   Donations & Gifts   Website issues   Advertising
Administrator, Kent OPC for all other enquiries   

© 2010 Kent Online Parish Clerks, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.  Privacy Policy    Terms of Use        This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.       Last Modified:  

end page divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes