Memorials inside St. Mary's Church, Minster, Thanet
Kent Online Parish Clerks
by kind courtesy of Alan Makey and the Kent FHS
(Click photo for larger view)
Minster Church is a handsome structure, built in the form of a cross. It exhibits different styles of architecture: the nave, which is Saxon, is the most ancient part, and is divided from the aisles by short massive columns supporting the round arches. The chancel is Gothic, and is vaulted with stone. There are 18 old collegiate stalls in this church; and in the north wall of the transept, under a pointed arch, is an ancient tomb with the following inscription in Norman French, now mostly illegible; "Ici gist Edila de Thorne que fust dna del Espine." An engraving of this may be found in Hasted, fol. ed. vol. 4. pa. 324. The learned Dr. Meric Casaubon was at one period of his life Vicar of Minster.
In the chancel, south side
A tablet to Mr. Henry Wooton, of Thorn, in this parish, only son of John and Eliz. Wooton; he was born at Alland Grange, 26th Sept. 1754, and died at Thorn.
On the North wall
A monument to Charlotte Louisa, wife of Geo. Hannam, Esq. and daughter of the late John Bristow, of Calcutta, who died Nov. 24th, 1831, aged 45; also Frederic, son of the above, who suddenly lost his life by a fall from his horse, 13th Oct. 1835, aged 21.
In the middle aisle, on the south side
A monument to Bartholomew Saunders, Gent. and Marie his wife, daughter of Henry Oxenden, late of Wingham, Esq.. Henry Saunders, Esq. their eldest son, married Jane, the eldest daughter of Thos. Paramore, Esq. and hath caused this monument to be erected.
In the north transept, on the west wall
A monument to Thos. Paramore, Esq. sometime mayor of the city of Canterbury: he had two wives; his second was Marie, widow of Thos. Garth, of London, Esq.; he died 7th July, 1621.
Source: C. Greenwood, comp. Epitome of County History, vol. 1, County of Kent. (London, England: privately printed, 1838).
http://www.kent-opc.org This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young. Last Modified: