Kent white horse symbol - 9251 Bytesgbflagpolemd.gif - 63006 Bytes

Kent Online Parish Clerks




white cliffs of Dover
Rainham Church
St. Margaret, Rainham
(Click photo for larger view)

Rainham, Kelly's Directory 1874

Transcribed by David Auger

Rainham is a parish and village, and station on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway, on the road from Chatham to Sittingbourne, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred and union of Milton, county court district of Sittingbourne, lathe of Scray, rural deanery of Sittingbourne, archdeaconry of Maidstone, and diocese of Canterbury, 4 miles east from Rochester, and 6 west from Sittingbourne: it reaches to the creeks on the Medway, and includes several marsh islands. The higher ground is chalk, in downs perpendicular to the coast: to the south are woods. The church of St. Margaret is a handsome building, with a conspicuous tower: it was the burial place of the Earls of Thanet; eight earls and six countesses of this family are buried here, including Henry, the last earl: the church, which is six centuries old, has a double nave, two chancels, carved screen, three stone sedilia, stalls and brasses, one of them of the date of 1409, and contains two monuments to the TUFTONs, Earls of Thanet, whose ancestors held land here in the reign of King John.

The register dates from the year 1592. The living is a vicarage, valued at £520, with residence and two acres of glebe, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Augustus John PEARMAN, M.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford. The National schools were erected in 1846. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Independents and United Methodist Free Church. Bricks are made here. The charities for distribution amount to £30 yearly. Berengrave is the residence of William WALTER, esq., J.P. Sir H. TUFTON, bart., is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Sir Henry TUFTON, bart., the Governors of St. Katharine's Hospital, the Earl of Aylesford, and J.W. STRATFORD, esq. The soil is light loam; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, cherries and hops, and there are several market gardens. The area of the parish is 3,562 acres of land, and 260 of water: gross estimated rental, £14,504; rateable value, £12,357; the population in 1871 was 2,082.

LOWER RAINHAM and RAINHAM QUAY are 1 mile north. MOOR STREET is half a mile east; COZENTON, half a mile north; MACKLAND, half a mile north; MOTLEY HILL, 2 miles north-east.

Parish Clerk, James TAYLOR.

POST & MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank. - Mrs. Mary Ann BREAREY, postmistress, High street. Letters arrive through Sittingbourne at 8.30 a.m. Box closes at 6.25 p.m.

PILLAR LETTER BOX at Lower Rainham, cleared at 5 p.m. week days, & 10.30 a.m. Sundays


INSURANCE AGENTS

County Fire & Provident Life, C. MOSS
Liverpool & London & Globe, J. LONGLEY
Phoenix Fire, M. HARVEY


NATIONAL SCHOOL

John LONGLEY, master; Mrs. Emma LONGLEY, mistress; Miss ROWLATT, infants' mistress


Railway Station

Alfred FISKE, station master


CARRIER

George THOMAS's van passes through daily, to & from London, Sittingbourne & Faversham


GENTRY & CLERGY

CASTLE Alfred, High street
COLEGATE Thomas Richard, Ivy street
DODD Misses, Church house
DODD Mrs.
EVEREST, William Bentham
KNIGHT John Sladen, M.D., M.R.C.P., High street
PEARMAN Rev. Aug. John, M.A. (vicar)
PENFOLD Henry, M.D.
SMART Misses, Bloor's place
SMART Mrs. Church house
TROTT John, Railway street
WAKELEY Mrs. Fore street
WAKELEY Richard Mansfield
WAKELEY Thomas Stanley
WAKELEY William Henry
WALTER William, J.P. Berengrave house
WATKINS Mrs. Moor street


COMMERCIAL

ATKINS James, malster & corn, hay & straw dealer
BAKER George, boot & shoe maker
BAKER George, fancy bread & biscuit baker & confectioner, High street
BARDEN Thos. corn factor, High street
BATH John, shoe maker, Railway street
BLEEZE Caroline (Mrs.), baker
BODKIN Henry, blacksmith
BREAREY Mary Ann (Mrs.), berlin wool & stationery, High street
BROOKS George, shoe maker, Ivy street
BURROUGH John, draper, High street
BUSBY John, Three Mariners, Lower Rainham
BUTCHER Joseph Edward, brick maker; & at Upchurch
CALLAWAY Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
CASTLE Mary Anne (Mrs.), Red Lion
CHAMBERS William, beer retailer
COOPER Stephen, Kent Volunteer, fly master & livery stables, Railway st
COPPIN Jesse, grocer, High street
DAMMARELL William, tailor, High st
EDMONDS Wm. & Son, market gardeners
EVEREST William Bentham, surgeon
FINNES William, butcher
FOSTER Jas. shopkeeper, Lower Rainham
GARRETT William, harness maker
GILBERT Thomas, farmer, Meresborough
GREEN Daniel, farmer, Pump farm
GREEN George, carpenter
GREEN Richard, smith, Broad walk
HALES Thomas, shopkeeper, Ivy street
HARRIS Henry, chemist, High street
JACOB George, shopkeeper, Railway st
KITCHINGHAM William, beer retailer
KNIGHT William, barge owner
LONGLEY George, nurseryman
MANSFIELD James, farmer, Moor street
MILES James, jun. farmer, Matts Hill farm, Hartlip
MILES James Luke, farmer & hop grower, Silham farm
MOSS Charles, grocer
NEWMAN Houland, beer retlr. Railway st
PARSONS John, butcher
PARTON Frank, shopkeeper, Ivy street
PENFOLD Henry, physician & surgeon
PHILPOTT Thomas, gardener & seedsman
PIKE Charles Thos. hair dresser, High st
QUINNELL George, grocer, Broad walk
REEVES Henry, tobacconist
RICKWOOD Phillip, boot ma. Railway st
ROPER William, greengrocer
SAYERS Elizabeth (Mrs.), White Horse inn, & fly proprietress
SIDDALL George, Cricketers, High street
SMITH Charles, shopkeeper
SMITH Oliver, shopkeeper
SMITH Thomas, blacksmith
STYLES George, beer retailer
SWAN Henry, market gardener
SWAN H. John, fruiterer, Low. Rainham
SWAN William, beer retailer
SYMS Jhn. Brown, corn factor, Broad wlk
TAYLOR Jas. & Son, plumbers & painters
TAYLOR James, printer, High street
TURNER George, grocer & draper
WAKELEY Brothers, merchants & corn factors; offices, Railway station
WAKELEY Thomas (exors. of), farmer, Moor street
WAKELEY Thomas Stanley, brick maker
WALTER Wm. landowner, Berengrave ho
WATSON Rt. Durrant, farmr & brick mnfr
WHAYMAN George, draper, High street
WHITLOCK Thomas Gale, grocer, High st
WILKINS James, farmer, Moor street
WILLIS Job, cowkeeper, Mere's Court la
Working Men's Institute (William WALTER, J.P. president; Rev. A. J. PEARMAN, treasurer;Dr. Henry PENFOLD, hon. sec.), High street