Kent Online Parish Clerks
A View of the Parish
Your Online Parish Clerk for Sandwich, St. Mary is: VACANT.
Sandwich, St. Mary is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of Sandwich. The church is named for St. Mary with registers commencing 1538.
Sandwich is a town, three parishes, and a sub-district, in Eastry district, Kent. The town stands on the river Stour, and on the Ramsgate and Deal railway, 2 miles west of Pegwell Bay, and 4-1/2 miles northwest-by-north of Deal; grew out of the ruins of the Roman Rhutupis or Rutupiæ at Richborough; was known to the Saxons as Sandwic or Sondwych, signifying "sand town"; figured in the Saxon times also as Lundenwic, or out-port to London; appears first on record as the landing place of Wilfred in 665, after he had preached among the Frisians; was attacked, but not taken, by the Danes in 838 and 851; was atacked by them again, and pillaged, in 852, 994, and 1,007; stood, in these early times, on the margin of the sea, with a good and capacious haven;was the rendezvous of the fleet of Etheldred II, to oppose the Danes; suffered renewed attacks by the Danes in 1008, 1009, and 1013; became, about 1014, the most important of the English harbours; was visited, in that year, by Canute; was the landing place of Canute in 1016, on his way to the throne; was reconstructed by Canute, and given by him to Christ Church, Canterbury; was visited, in 1039, by Hardicanute; had 307 houses in the time of Edward the Confessor, and was then made a cinque port; was visited by Edward the Confessor in 1049, and again in 1052 to oppose Earl Godwin; had 383 houses at Domesday; was the embarking place of Thomas à Becket after his scene with the king at Northampton, and his landing place on his return in December 1170; was the landing place of Richard I in 1194 after his imprisonment in Austria; was burnt by the French in 1217; was the embarking place of Edward III for France and Flanders in 1342, 1345, 1347, 1349, 1359 and 1372; was the landing place of the Black Prince, with his prisoner the French king; was fortified against the French, in 1384, by Richard II, was the embarking place, in 1416, of Henry V; was plundered by the French in 1445, and burnt by them in 1457; made such speedy recovery from its disasters as to have 95 ships with 1,500 sailors in the time of Edward IV, and as then to yield customs to the yearly amount of £17,000; was the embarking place of Edward IV to France in 1475; began to suffer decay from the choking of its harbour with sand about 1500; experienced revival in 1561 and subsequent years, by immigration of Walloons, acting principally as barge workers and as gardeners; suffered a slight stroke of earthquake in 1579; was ravaged by plague in 1636, 1637, 1644 and 1666; was visited by Henry VIII, by Elizabeth in 1573, by Cromwell in 1651, by Charles II in 1660; numbers, among its natives, Bishop Henry deSandwich who died in 1273, Manwood the lawyer who died in 1592, Sir J. Mennes the mariner who was born in 1598, Sir J. Burroughs the herald who died in 1643, Sir H. Furnese who was born in 1658, Sir G. Ent the physician who died in 1689, Burchett the admiralty secretary in the time of Queen Anne, Dr. Simmons who was born in 1750, and Admiral Rainier who died in 1808; has given the title of Earl to the family of Montague since 1650; and had its name transferred, through the Earl of Sandwich who was minister of George III, to the group of South Sea Islands discovered by Cook in 1769.
The town had an ancient castle, which was held against Edward IV by Falconbridge, and is now quite gone; had also encompassing walls, partly of stone, partly of earth with five gates, one of which called Fishers-gate still stands; had likewise a Carmelite friary, founded in 1272 by Lord Clinton, vested with the privilege of sanctuary and given at the dissolution to the Ardens; retains interesting fragments of ancient domestic architecture, particularly in a house in Lucksboat Street seemingly of the time of Henry VIII, and in two houses in Strand Street, one of which is said to have been occupied by Queen Elizabeth at her visit in 1573; exhibits now a decayed, antique, crowded, and intricate appearance, more like that of a plain old weather-worn continental town than like that of most old towns in England; stands, with rectangular outline, on a platform about 15 feet above the level of an encompassing plain; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts; was made a borough by Edward III, with right of sending two members to parliament; is governed, under the new municipal act, by a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 councillors; and has a head post-office with a money order office and a savings bank; a railway station with telegraph, two banking offices, two chief inns, a guild hall of 1579, an assembly room at one of the inns, a town jail with capacity for 14 male and 4 female prisoners, a two-arched bridge with swing for transit of vessels, a custom house, three churches, three dissenting chapels, a grammar school, a national school, three alms-house-hospitals, a benefit building society, and charities, including those of the grammar school and the hospitals, £1,394.
St. Clement's church has early English nave and chancel, a low central Norman tower, a restored Tudor roof, miserere stalls, and an ancient octagonal font. The churchyard has yielded ancient urns and other antiquities, indicating it to have probably been a cemetery connected with the Roman Rhutupis.
St. Peter's church is mainly early English; and has a ruined south aisle, a hideously remodelled chancel, a modern tower of stone below and brick above, and numerous monuments hidden by pews.
St. Mary's church is partly ancient, and has a steeple of 1718. The grammar school was founded in 1563, by Sir Roger Manwood; has been removed from its original premises, near the site of the Canterbury gate, to the interior of the town; has an endowed income of £38 a-year, and 4 scholarships at Oxford and Cambridge; and had R. Knollys, author of a "History of the Turks", as a master.
St. Bartholomew's hospital was founded about 1200; gives lodging and maintenance to 16 persons; includes an interesting early English chapel; and has an endowed income of £766.
St. Thomas' hospital was founded in 1392 by T. Elys; maintains 12 persons; includes an ancient dining hall, with early perpendicular English window; and has an endowed income of £349.
St. John's hospital was founded before 1287, and afterwards rebuilt; and has an endowed income of £131.
A corn market is held on every Wednesday; a cattle market, on every alternate Monday; and a pleasure fair, on 4 December. Tanning, wool sorting, malting, brewing, seed crushing, iron founding, and ship building are carried on; coal is extensively imported, for the supply of much of the east of Kent; timber and iron also are imported; and corn, malt, flour, seeds, wool, fruit, and hops are exported.
The harbour became inaccessible to sea-borne vessels soon after 1500; suffered increasing injury from recession of the sea; could be entered till after 1847 only by small vessels, in a tortuous course up the Stour; began to undergo improvement under an act of parliament obtained in 1847, and continued to undergo increase of improvement in years up to 1868. The corporation revenue amounts to about £2,300.
The municipal borough comprises the parishes of St. Clement, St. Peter and St. Mary, and the extra parochial tract of St. Bartholomew's hospital; and the parliamentary borough includes also the parishes of Deal and Walmer.
Acres of St. Mary, 127; of St. Bartholomew extra-parochial, 6. Population in 1861, of St. Mary, 919; of St. Bartholomew, 51. Houses of St. Mary, 194; and of St. Bartholomew, 16.
The living of St. Mary is a vicarage, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value of St. Mary, £117 with a habitable glebe house. Patron of St. Mary, the Archdeacon of Canterbury.
Real property of the three parishes combined with St. Bartholomew's found in 1860, £10,031; of which £198 were in gas works. Real property of the parliamentary borough, £41,246. Amount of property and income tax charged in 1863, £2,188. Electors in 1833, 916; in 1868, 1,069. Population in 1851, 12,710; in 1861, 13,750. Houses, 2,672.
The sub-district contains also 6 other parishes and part of another. Acres, 24,870. Population, 8,759. Houses, 1,801.1 For further information regarding Sandwich, St. Peter, see the Kent OPC web page. For further information regarding Sandwich, St. Clement, see the Kent OPC web page.
The sub-district contains also 6 other parishes and part of another. Acres, 24,870. Population, 8,759. Houses, 1,801.1
For further information regarding Sandwich, St. Peter, see the Kent OPC web page.
For further information regarding Sandwich, St. Clement, see the Kent OPC web page.
|Church Registers||Census||Parish Records||Wills &
|Tax Lists||Directories||Land Records &
Kent Online Parish Clerks ©2006, all rights reserved. No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.
This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.
Date last modified: 1/12/2007 12:26:42 PM