Kent Online Parish Clerks
by kind courtesy of Alan Makey and the Kent FHS
(Click photo for larger view)
Click on map to view full size on Google Maps.
Click here for larger image of this 1881 survey.
Click map for modern Ordnance survey map.
Reproduced from Ordnance Survey map data by permission of Ordnance Survey, © Crown copyright.
|We are sorry, there is no Online Parish Clerk for this parish.
We have no other information or data for this parish except what is accessed by or detailed on this page.
If you wish to volunteer for this post or have data you wish to contribute, please use the appropriate link on our
Statistical SummaryAcres: 653
OS co-ordinates: TR256650
Parish Church: St. Nicholas at Wade
1653 original parish registers
Monday - St. Nicholas at Wade
Wednesday - Ramsgate
Thursday - Sarre
Friday - Minster
Saturday - Monkton, Margate &
Palm Monday - Minster
30 May - Acol
13 July - Minster
22 July - Monkton
10 Aug - St. Lawrence
8 Sep - St. Nicholas at Wade
14 Oct - Sarre
Newspapers: weekly at Ramsgate
Electoral Place: Ramsgate
Petty Sessions and County Courts -
Margate and Ramsgate
Jails: at St. Clement's, Sandwich
Royal National at Westgate
Post office under Margate
Registration District: Thanet
Poor Law Union: Thanet 1835-1930
Workhouse: Minster, Thanet Diocese: Canterbury
pre-1859 - Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury
post-1858 - Principal Probate Registry
Lathe: St. Augustine
Parishes within 6 mile radius:
Acol, Ash (Sandwich), Birchington Chislet, Elmstone, Margate, Minster in Thanet, Monkton, Preston (Ash and Wingham), Sarre, Reculver, Sandwich (Sts Clement, Mary and Peter), St. Nicholas at Wade, Stonar, Stourmouth, Thanet St Lawrence, Thanet St. Peter
Sarre, a village and a ville in Thanet district, Kent. The village stands on the river Stour, adjacent to the Ashford and Ramsgate railway, 2 miles NE of Grove-Ferry rail station, and 8 west-south-west of Margate; and has a post office under Margate, and a fair on 14 October. The ville comprises 653 acres, and is a member of the Cinque Port liberty of Sandwich. Real property, £1,787. Population 169. Houses, 40.1
The VILLE OF SARRE, now united to the parish of St. Nicholas, was once a separate parish of itself; it was anciently spelt Serre, and was sometimes written in ancient records, St. Giles, alias Serre, and St. Giles at Serre, from the church of it being dedicated to that saint. It is a small village adjoining to the parish of St. Nicholas south-westward, being situated at the entrance into this island from the county eastward, and at the western extremity of it. It seems anciently to have been much larger, and more populous than at present, on account of its being the most frequented passage into this island, and a place where the shipping often lay at anchor, in their passage to and from the Northmouth or Yenlade, there being a most commodious haven for them here; and Twine, in his treatise, De Rebus Albionicis, says, "Erat olim in boc fluvio statio firmissima navibus & gratissima nautis Sarra nominata." The distance between the upland and the county, and this place, across the marshes over Sarre wall, is about a mile.2
This space was anciently covered with water, the sea flowing over it between Northmouth and Richborough, being the usual passage for the shipping to and from London, and here the two tides met, which flowed in at the north and east mouths of it. This water was so much decreased (and on that account named the Wantsum) in Bede's time, that it then was no more than three furlongs broad; so that there were kept here two ferry boats to carry men and cattle over it, to and from the island; the tribute or toll of these, which used to be paid to the king, was granted by king Egbert to the abbey of Minster, in Thanet. (Regist. Mon. Sci Agust. cart. 162)2
In the ancient rude map of this island, formerly belonging to the abbey of St. Augustine, a pretty large boat is placed here, a man rowing it, and another nearly up to his knees in the water, with a staff in his hand, carrying a monk on his back to the boat; which seems to intimate, that then the water was so much fallen away that the boat could not come up quite to the shore.2
This water still decreasing, ceased to be a continued stream, and the flood gates erected across it dispersed it among the adjoining lands, insomuch that it became too narrow, even for the use of a ferry, and the inhabitants applying to parliament for licence to build a bridge at Sarre ferry, an act passed in the first year of king Henry VII for that purpose; and a bridge was soon after erected here over this water, which is not more than ten or twelve feet wide. This bridge has always belonged to the commissioners of sewers, by whose orders it is constantly repaired. The ancient ferry-house, situated at a small distance westward from the bridge, on the south side of the high road, belongs likewise to them.2
Leland, who wrote in king Henry VIII.'s time, says, in his Itinerary, "At Northmuth, where the estery of the se was, the salt water swellith yet up at a creeke a myle and more toward a place cawled Sarre, which was the commune fery when Thanet was fulle iled."2
The VILLAGE OF SARRE is situated at a small distance from the bridge above-mentioned eastward, the road from thence across the island leading through it. It consists of only a few straggling houses, one of which, on the south side, is the manor house. There is a fair held here on Oct. 14, for toys, et cetera.2Whilst the sea flowed up hither and the ships reforted to this haven, it was accounted a pleasant, healthy situation; but afterward the continued fogs and damp vapours, occasioned by the vast quantity of marshes inned from the decreasing waters, soon made this place exceedingly unhealthy, and at the same time unpleasant, and of course decreased the populousness of it, so that it has been for a long time but very thinly inhabited, and that by those only whose occupations among these sickly marshes oblige them to reside in it.2
This ville, or parish of Sarre, has ever been accounted one of the ancient members of the cinque port of Sandwich, and as such, within the liberty and jurisdiction of those ports; notwithstanding which, a dispute arose in king Henry VI.'s time, touching the assessing of it, as lying within the county; to take away all disputes of which, the king, by his letters patent, united it again to Sandwich.2
The PARISH CHURCH OF SARRE stood upon the hill to the eastward of the town, about thirty rods on the left hand of the great road leading from Sarre to Monkton. It was dedicated to St. Giles, and was a vicarage, which in the 8th year of king Richard II. on account of its smallness was not taxed to the tenth.2
The alteration made in this place by the failing of the Wantsume, and consequently the decrease of the inhabitants, occasioned very probably the dissolution of this little vicarage, and the uniting it, together with this parish, to that of St. Nicholas; soon after which, the church decaying, was suffered to fall down, and there are at this time no remains of it left.2
The vicar of St. Nicholas receives the small tithes, offerings, &c. of this little parish, or ville of Sarre, the inhabitants of which are assessed to the repairs of the church of St. Nicholas, but they still keep up the distinction of maintaining their own poor.2
The church of St. Giles's at Sarre was part of the possessions of the eminent family of Crevequer, lords of the manor of Sarre, to which it was appurtenant, and continued so till Robert de Crevequer, founder of Ledes priory, in king Henry I.'s reign, gave this church to that priory, and this gift was confirmed by his son Elias de Crevequer, who procured the consent of archbishop Theobald, to appropriate it to the canons of that church; which was afterwards confirmed by several of his descendants, archbishop Hubert, and by king Edward III. in his 41st year, by his charter of inspeximus. (Dugdale's Monasticon, vol. ii. p. 110) In which state the appropriation of this church continued till the dissolution of the priory in the 31st year of king Henry VIII. for the vicarage was dissolved long before, when it came with the rest of the possessions of the priory into the king's hands, who by his dotation charter in his 33d year, settled it on his new-founded dean and chapter of Rochester, with whom the inheritance of it now remains. But the great tithes of this ville or parish are very inconsiderable, there being very little corn or sowing land in it. Mrs. Gillow is the present lessee of the parsonage.2
1Source: John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales. (London, England: A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).
2Source: John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales. (London, England: A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).
-- various. 'Archaeologia Cantiana'. Publisher: Kent, England: Kent Archaeological Society, various dates. [Note: The following volumes can be found on archive.org: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (1876), 11, 12, 13 (1880), 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 32, 34, 35, vol. 1907 supplement.]
Great Britain, Public Record Office. 'Calendar of the patent rolls preserved in the Public Record Office--Edward II, Vol. 1. 1307-1313'Each volume has own index. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Great Britain, Public Record Office. 'Inquisitions and assessments relating to feudal aids : with other analogous documents preserved in the Public Record Office, A. D. 1284-1431', Vol. 3. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Great Britain, Exchequer. 'The book of fees commonly called testa de nevill, pt. 3'. The Book of fees contains information about the holdings of feudal tenants. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Hall, Hubert, 1857-1944. 'The Red book of the Exchequer - Liber rubeus de Scaccario, Vol. 3'. The Red book of the Exchequer was a register intended to preserve important documents comprising charters, statutes of the realm, public acts (Placita), private deeds and ordinances, correspondence. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Glencross, Reginald Morshead. 'Administrations in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, Vol. 1. 1559-1571'. Publisher: Genealogical Society of Utah d.b.a Historical Books on FamilySearch; http://www.familysearch.org.
Hasted, Edward. 'The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent; Containing the antient and present state of it, civil and ecclesiastical; collected from public records, and other authorities: illustrated with maps, views, antiquities, etc. The second edition, improved, corrected, and continued to the present time'. 12 volumes. Publisher: Canterbury: Printed by W. Bristow, 1797-1801. URL: British History Online
Hussey, Arthur. 'Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey, mentioned in Domesday book, and those of more recent date'. Publisher: London J.R. Smith,(1852).
Letters, Dr. Samantha. 'Kent', Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs in England and Wales to 1516 (2005). URL: British History Online.
Page, William, 1861-1934, ed.. 'The Victoria history of the county of Kent'. Publisher: London: Constable (1908). URL: British History Online
Sharp, J. E. E. S., ed.. 'Inquisitions Post Mortem, Edward I, File 39', Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem, Volume 2: Edward I. Published:(1906), pp. 315-323. URL: British History Online.
Sharp, J. E. E. S., ed.. 'Inquisitions Post Mortem, Henry III, File 45', Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem, Volume 1: Henry III. Published:(1904), pp. 296-302. URL: British History Online.
Location of Records
The following list of records is not intended to be exhaustive. There are many records that are awaiting discovery in archive offices throughout Kent and England. This list is intended only to set out those records that are available via at least two relatively easy-to-access avenues. If you have used or discover a record that would be of benefit to other researchers, that is not on this list, please send me an email with the details of the archive - name, address and archival call number.
Church Records, Church of England
Church Records, Non-Conformist
Parish chest records
Workhouse and Poor Law Records
Assizes and Sessions Records
|Record Type||Dates||Archive 1
|Corresponding LDS Family History Library film numbers
(Find a centre near you)
|Hearth tax||Currently under revision|
|Victuallers Recognizances||Currently under revision|
|Churchwarden's Presentments||Currently under revision|
|Parish rate books||Currently under revision|
|Record Type||Dates||Archive 1
|Corresponding LDS Family History Library film numbers
(Find a centre near you)
|Currently under revision|
1801 - 169
1811 - 186
1821 - 191
1831 - 200
1841 - 215
1851 - 194
1861 - 169
1871 - 162
1881 - 184
1891 - 160
1901 - 160
1911 - 135
1921 - 147
The civil parish of the same name at the 1921 census was coextensive with such parish (or place).
London 58.8 mi.
Canterbury 8.1 mi.
Ashford 20.7 mi.
Bromley 52.9 mi.
Chatham 30.4 mi.
Cranbrook 34.5 mi.
Dartford 45.7 mi.
Deptford 55.9 mi.
Dover 14.8 mi.
Faversham 15.0 mi.
Folkestone 17.6 mi.
Gravesend 37.8 mi.
Greenwich 54.0 mi.
Hythe 19.5 mi.
Maidstone 30.9 mi.
Margate 7.2 mi.
Milton Regis 21.7 mi.
Queenborough 21.7 mi.
Sarre 8.1 mi.
Rochester 33.0 mi.
St. Peter's 4.2 mi.
Sandwich 6.2 mi.
Sheerness 22.2 mi.
Tunbridge Wells 44.4 mi.
Woolwich 51.8 mi.
*Based on distances from Thanet, St. Peter.