Kent horse.gif - 2985 Bytes

West Malling Parish


Kent Online Parish Clerks
Do you have a photograph of the church that you would like to see posted here?  Email me.

Local Families link Photographs link Parish News link

 

A View of the Parish

Your Online Parish Clerk for West Malling is:  VACANT.  

West Malling is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of North Malling.  The church is named for St. Mary with original parish registers commencing 1698.

West Malling, a village and a parish in Malling district, Kent.  The village stands adjacent to the Otford and Maidstone branch of the Southeastern railway, 2-1/2 miles west by south of Aylesford rail station, and 5-1/2 northwest by west of Maidstone;  occupies the site of the Saxon mark of the Mallingas;  was itself anciently called Mealinges;  is now sometimes called Town Malling;  is a seat of petty sessions;  and has a post office with a savings banks and a money order office, under Maidstone, a police station, three inns, a weekly corn market on Monday, and fairs on 12 August, 2 October and 17 November.

The parish comprises 1,366 acres.  Real property in 1860, £8,599;  of which £152 are in gas works.  Population in 1851, 2,021;  in 1861, 2,086.  Houses, 357.  The property is subdivided.

The manor was given by Edward the Confessor to the bishops of Rochester;  and, by Bishop Gundulph, to Malling abbey.  Malling House is the residence of the Hon. R. P. Nevill;  St. Leonardís House, of John Savage, Esq..  Broughton House and Brook House likewise are chief residences.

A Benedictine nunnery, known as Malling abbey, was founded here in 1090 by Bishop Gundulph;  went, at the dissolution, to Archbishop Cranmer;  passed to the Honeywoods and the Akerses;  and is now represented by interesting remains, of dates from Norman to late perpendicular.  The great gateway has a facing of later English, evidently over older work;  a chapel, attached to the gateway, has decorated English windows and later English South door, and was recently restored;  the west front of the church is Norman, with ornamented pilasters and slender turrets similar to those of the west front of Rochester cathedral;  and the cloisters, now included in a modern mansion, are late early English, with very find broad trefoiled arches.  A cell of the abbey, with a chapel, stood at St. Leonardís, but has disappeared.  A large, square, ancient tower also stood there;  and has left some remains, which have been doubtfully pronounced to be Norman.

A belt of woods and heaths, called Malling woods, conjoined with others called Mereworth and Great Comp woods, lies along the south of both West Malling and East Malling parishes.

The living is vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value, £320 with a habitable glebe house.  Patron, W. Lawson, Esq..  The church has a modern nave, an early English chancel, and a Norman tower;  was extensively restored in 1866;  and contains brasses of 1497 and 1532.

There are a national school, a private lunatic asylum, the Malling district workhouse, and charities £63.1

1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales.  (London, England:  A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).

 

Church Registers Census Parish Records Wills &
Court Records


  • 1801-1831

  • 1841

  • 1851

  • 1861

  • 1871

  • 1881

  • 1891

  • 1901

  • Settlement Certificates
  • Removal Orders
  • Bastardy Examinations
  • Parish-assisted Immigrants
  • Churchwarden's Accounts
  • Overseer's Accounts
  • Surveyor's Accounts
  • Workhouse Records
  • Pew Rents
  • Donors' Rolls
  • Vestry Minutes
  • Bishops' Visitations
  • Parish Magazines
  • Parish Histories

  • AD index 1448-1857
  • CC index 1448-1857
  • PCC 1338-1858
  • PPR 1858-1925
  • Depositions
  • Quarter Sessions
  • Militia Lists
  • Muster Rolls
  • Description Books
  • Tithe Apportionment c1830s
  • Transportations
  • Protestation Rolls c1641-1643
  • Oaths of Allegiance c1720s
Tax Lists Directories Land Records &
Maps
Other

  • Poll Tax
  • Hearth Tax
  • Window Tax
  • Hair Powder Tax
  • Land Tax Assessments 1780-1831
  • Land Tax Assessments 1799-1805


  • Parish Map
  • Deeds, Mortgages, etc.
  • Rated Property Returns
  • Returns of owners of land, 1873
  • Manor Court Baron
  • Manor Tenancy Rolls
  • Manors, Castles & Holdings of Significance

  • War Memorials
  • Apprenticeships
  • Immigration
  • School Records
  • Notable Events
  • Nefarious Activities
  • Newspapers

 
http://www.kent-opc.org    

Send mail to the Administrator, Kent OPC  or  Contact Us  with questions or comments about this web site.

© 2007 Kent Online Parish Clerks, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.

This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.

Date last modified:  10/8/2007 1:27:17 PM