A View of the Parish


We are sorry, there is no Online Parish Clerk for this parish.

We have no other information or data for this parish except what is accessed by or detailed on this page.

If you wish to volunteer for this post or have data you wish to contribute, please use the appropriate link at the bottom of this page.

Milton-next-Gravesend was formerly, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Rochester, in the archdeaconry of Rochester and in the deanery of Rochester.  The parish church is named for St. Peter and St. Paul with original parish registers commencing 1558.

Milton-Gravesend is a parish in Gravesend district, Kent;  on the river Thames and the North Kent railway, wholly within Gravesend borough.  It adjoins Gravesend parish on the east;  was incorporated with Gravesend borough in the time of Elizabeth;  includes a larger and finer portion of Gravesend town than the portion within Gravesend parish;  contains many of the best houses, the custom house, the fort, the literary institution, the Royal Terrace pier, and other objects of main interest;  commands, from its higher thoroughfares, a rich view over the circumjacent portions of Kent, and a view of about 40 miles in reach along the north shore of the Thames;  and, as to all its principal features, has already been noticed in our article Gravesend.  Post town, Gravesend.  Acres, 858;  of which 155 are water.  Real property in 1860, £54,581;  of which £1,000 are in quarries, and £1,300 in gas works.  Population in 1851, 9,927;  in 1861, 10,897.  Houses, 1,842.

Two sections of the parish form the chapelries of Holy Trinity and Christchurch.

Holy Trinity was built and constituted in 1845, at a cost of £4,539.  Population of Holy Trinity, 3,642.  The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Rochester.  Value of Holy Trinity, £150.  Patron of Holy Trinity, alternately the Crown and the Bishop.

Christchurch was built during 1854 and constituted in 1856.  It is a Gothic edifice.  Population of Christchurch, 5,631.    The living is also a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Rochester.  Value of Christchurch £300.  Patron of Christchurch, the Rector of Milton.

The head living (the parish church), St. Peter and St. Paul, is a rectory, in the diocese of Rochester.  It is late decorated English; has a fine square tower;  and contains well-designed sedilia, and interesting corbels of the original roof.  Value of the rectory, £270 with a habitable glebe house.  Patron of the rectory, the Lord Chancellor two turns, and the Bishop of Rochester one turn.1


1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales.  (London, England:  A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).

In the section below, only active links appear in colour.

 
footer divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes
 

Contacts:   Volunteer      Donations & Gifts      Website issues      Advertising
Administrator, Kent OPC   for all other enquiries.

© 2010 Kent Online Parish Clerks, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.  Privacy Policy    Terms of Use

http://www.kent-opc.org         This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.         Last Modified:  

end page divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes