A View of the Parish


We are sorry, there is no Online Parish Clerk for this parish.

We have no other information or data for this parish except what is accessed by or detailed on this page.

If you wish to volunteer for this post or have data you wish to contribute, please use the appropriate link at the bottom of this page.

Charing is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Maidstone and in the deanery of East Charing.  The church is named for St. Peter and St. Paul with original parish registers commencing 1590.

Charing, a village and a parish in West Ashford district, Kent.  The village stands on the ancient road called the Pilgrimsí way, near the source of the Len, 5 miles north by east of Pluckley rail station, and 5-1/2 northwest of Ashford.  It is an ancient place, known at Domesday as Cheringues;  and it has a post office with a savings banks and a money order office under Ashford, an inn, and fairs on 29 April and 29 Oct.  The parish comprises 4,551 acres.  Real property in 1860, £7,610.  Population in 1851, 1,285.  Houses, 265.  The property is divided among a few.

The manor belonged early to the see of Canterbury;  was held some time by the Saxon kings;  reverted to the Archbishops;  was given up by Cranmer to Henry VIII.;  and passed to the Whelers of Otterden.  A palace of the Archbishops stood here;  was rebuilt in the 14th century;  and gave entertainment to Henry VII. And Henry VIII.  The edifice was in the early decorated style, and badly executed;  and considerable ruins of it still exist.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value, £475, witha habitable glebe house.  Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paulís.  The church was chiefly rebuilt after a destruction of it by fire in 1590, but retains portions in early English and perpendicular;  and it contains monuments of the Brents, the Sayers, the Honeywoods, and Mrs. Ludwell.

A school, founded by Mrs. Ludwell, who died in 1765, has £88 a year from endowment, and two exhibitions at Oriel college.1


1  John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales.  (London, England:  A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).


In the section below, only active links appear in colour.

 
footer divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes
 

Contacts:   Volunteer      Donations & Gifts      Website issues      Advertising
Administrator, Kent OPC   for all other enquiries.

© 2009- Kent Online Parish Clerks, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.  Privacy Policy    Terms of Use

http://www.kent-opc.org         This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.         Last Modified:  

end page divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes