Kent horse.gif - 2985 Bytes

Cheriton Parish


Kent Online Parish Clerks
St. Martin Church
St. Martin
(Click photo for larger view)

Local Families link Photographs link Parish News link

 

A View of the Parish

Your Online Parish Clerk for Cheriton is:  VACANT.  

Cheriton is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of Dover.  The church is named for St. Martin with registers commencing 1562.

Cheriton, a parish in Elham district, Kent;  on the coast, at Thorncliffe rail station, 2-3/4 miles west-by-north of Folkestone.  It includes part of Sandgate village, and has a post office under Hythe.  Acres, 1,861, of which 75 are water.  Real property in 1860, £10,498.  Population in 1851, 1,658;  in 1861, 7,434 of whom 4,204 were military in Shorncliffe camp.  Houses, 342.  The increase of population arose from the establishing of Shorncliffe camp.

The living [Cheriton] is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury;  and till 1867 was united with Newington[near Hythe].  Value, £550 with a habitable glebe house.  Patron, the Rev. T. Brockman.  The church is ancient.

There is a national school.

Sandgate a village and a chapelry in Elham district, and within Hythe borough, Kent.  The village stands on the coast, at the foot of an extensive range of hills, 1 mile south of Shorncliffe and Sandgate rail station, and 1-1/2 miles west-south-west of Folkestone;  was founded in 1773, by a shipbuilder of the name of Wilson;  grew and prospered as a place of ship building, and as a sea bathing resort;  possesses good advantages and fine amenities for sea bathing visitors;  enjoys very salubrious air, and highly picturesque and romantic environs;  commands a clear and extensive view of the French coast;  is governed by a local board of health;  has undergone much improvement by drainage, by introduction of good water supply, and otherwise;  and has a post office under Folkestone with a savings banks and a money order office, a church rebuilt in 1822, a neat Wesleyan chapel, reading rooms, a literary institution, a national school, a dispensary, numerous charities, and a fair on 23 July.

Sandgate Castle, adjacent to the village, dates from very early times;  was, for six weeks, the residence of Henry of Lancaster, afterwards Henry IV;  was rebuilt, for defence of the coast, by Henry VIII;  gave entertainment, in 1588, to Queen Elizabeth;  and underwent repairs and enlargement in 1806, to adapt it to purposes of modern warfare.  Part of the line of Martello towers, erected during the war with France, is in the neighbourhood.

A military camp, called Shorncillfe camp, was formed on a plateau above the village, about the time when the Martello towers were built;  was made permanent, with the erection of barracks, in 1854;  forms three sides of a square;  and contains accommodation for about 6,000 soldiers.  The troops in the camp were reviewed on the neighbouring downs, by Queen Victoria, in 1855.  The military canal commences near Sandgate, and goes thence to Rye.  Shorncliffe coastguard station also is in the vicinity.

The chapelry is partly in Folkestone parish, but chiefly in Cheriton;  and was constituted in 1848.  Population in 1861, exclusive of the military, 1,669.  Houses, 257.  The property is much subdivided.

Enbrook is the seat of the Hon. Sir J. D. Bligh.  A pack of fox-hounds is kept by F. Brockman, Esq..

The living [Sandgate] is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value, £270 with a habitable glebe house.  Patron, the Hon. Sir J. D. Bligh.1
1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales.  (London, England:  A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).

 

Church Registers Census Parish Records Wills &
Court Records

  • Monumental Inscriptions
  • Christenings 1558-1640
  • Christenings 1641-1700
  • Christenings 1701-1775
  • Christenings 1776-1900
  • Marriages 1558-1640
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1776-1900
  • Burials 1558-1640
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1776-1900
  • IGI batch #s, Boyds, Pallots, BVRI, NBI
  • Published Records

  • 1801-1831

  • 1841

  • 1851

  • 1861

  • 1871

  • 1881

  • 1891

  • 1901

  • Settlement Certificates
  • Removal Orders
  • Bastardy Examinations
  • Parish-assisted Immigrants
  • Churchwarden's Accounts
  • Overseer's Accounts
  • Surveyor's Accounts
  • Workhouse Records
  • Pew Rents
  • Donors' Rolls
  • Vestry Minutes
  • Bishops' Visitations
  • Parish Magazines
  • Parish Histories

  • AD index 1448-1857
  • CC index 1448-1857
  • PCC 1338-1858
  • PPR 1858-1925
  • Depositions
  • Quarter Sessions
  • Militia Lists
  • Muster Rolls
  • Description Books
  • Tithe Apportionment c1830s
  • Transportations
  • Protestation Rolls c1641-1643
  • Oaths of Allegiance c1720s
Tax Lists Directories Land Records &
Maps
Other

  • Poll Tax
  • Hearth Tax
  • Window Tax
  • Hair Powder Tax
  • Land Tax Assessments 1780-1831
  • Land Tax Assessments 1799-1805


  • Parish Map
  • Deeds, Mortgages, etc.
  • Rated Property Returns
  • Returns of owners of land, 1873
  • Manor Court Baron
  • Manor Tenancy Rolls
  • Manors, Castles & Holdings of Significance

  • War Memorials
  • Apprenticeships
  • Immigration
  • School Records
  • Notable Events
  • Nefarious Activities
  • Newspapers

 
http://www.kent-opc.org    

Send mail to the Administrator, Kent OPC  or  Contact Us  with questions or comments about this web site.

© 2006 Kent Online Parish Clerks, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.

This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.

Date last modified:  3/1/2007 6:00:15 PM