Kent horse.gif - 2985 Bytes


Dartford Parish

         Kent Online Parish Clerks


Local Families link Photographs link Parish News link

 

A View of the Parish

Your Online Parish Clerk for Dartford is:  VACANT.  

Dartford is in the poor law union of Dartford, archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of Dartford.  The church is named for the Holy Trinity with registers commencing 1561.

Dartford is a town, a parish, a sub-district and a district in Kent.  The town stands in a narrow valley between two steep hills, on Watling Street, the river Darent, and the North Kent railway, 17 miles east-south-east of London Bridge.  It was known to the Saxons as Darentford, and at Domesday as Tarentford;  and it got its name from a ford or ferry passage on the Darent, which was a great thoroughfare till the building of a bridge at it in the time of Henry VI.  Isabella, the sister of Henry III, was married here by proxy, in 1235, to the Emperor Frederick.  Edward III held a tournament here in 1331;  and founded an Augustinian nunnery here in 1355.  Wat Tyler commenced his insurrection here, in 1381, by beating out the brains of the poll-tax collector;  and either he or the collector is made to give a bad name to Dartford in an old local rhyme, which thus characterizes neighbouring places on the Darent: -

"Sutton for mutton,
 Kirkby for beef,
 South Darne for gingerbread,
 And Dartford for a thief."

The town consists chiefly of one spacious, well-built, picturesque street.  The nunnery, founded by Edward III, stood at the west end;  became the retreat of a daughter of Edward IV, and many noble ladies;  was converted, after the dissolution, into a royal palace;  passed, for a time, to Anne of Cleves;  was inhabited two days, in 1573, by Queen Elizabeth;  passed by barter to Sir Robert Cecil;  was held, on life-lease, by Sir Edward Darcy, and got then the name of Place House.  The edifice appears to have been very extensive;  and a small part of it, not earlier than the time of Henry VII, still stands, and is now used as a farm house.

A chantry-chapel, dedicated to St. Edmund the Martyr, and situated in a cemetery of its own on the opposite side of the town, belonged to the nunnery;  and was in such great repute by pilgrims to Canterbury that the reach of Watling street leading to it often took the name of "St. Edmund's way"but it has entirely disappeared.

The parish church is a spacious ancient edifice, with a Norman tower;  was respired, or much altered, in 1793 and at other times;  and has remains of a decorated screen, a mural monument to Sir John Spielman, Queen Elizabeth's jeweller, and some interesting brasses and effigies.

The London Pauper Lunatic asylum is a large recent erection, with a lofty central tower;  and forms a prominent object for a considerable distance.

There are four dissenting chapels, a grammar school, with £48 from endowment, another school with £47, alms houses with £76, other charities with £213, a new cemetery, and a workhouse.

The town has a head post office with both a money order office and a savings bank, a railway station with telegraph, a banking office and two chief inns;  and is a seat of petty sessions.  Markets are held on Saturdays;  and a fair on 2 August.  A large export tade is carried on in country produce, chalk, lime, whiting, and manufactures, and an import trade in coal and timber, - the Darent, under the name of Dartford creek, affording good navigation hither to the Thames;  and there are foundries, calico and silk printing establishments, a large tannery, and powder, paper, corn and seed crushing mills, - the powder and paper mills of great extent, and situated a little way distant.  The town gives the title of Viscount to Earl Jersey.  Population, 5,314.  Houses, 996.

The parish comprises 4,101 acres of land and 185 of water.  Real property, £31, 311;  of which £616 are in quarries, £409 in canals, and £ in gas works.  Population 6,597.  Houses, 1,258.  The property is much subdivided.

The manor belonged to the Crown;  and was given by James I to the Whitmores.

Part of the area adjoining the river is marshy;  and part above is chalk down.  Numerous remarkable ancient excavations exist in the chalk;  and fine views are had from the heath a mile south-west of the town.  Richard Plantagenet encamped on the heath in 1452;  and Fairfax, in 1648.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value, £534 and has a habitable glebe house.  Patron, the Bishop of Worcester.

The sub-district contains the parishes of Dartford, Stone near Dartford, Swanscombe, Darenth, Wilmington and Sutton at Hone.  Acres, 17,675.  Population in 1861, 13,180.  Houses, 2,499.

The district comprehends also the sub-district of Bexley, containing the parishes of Bexley, East Wickham, Erith and Crayford;  and the sub-district of Farningham, containing the parishes of Farningham, Horton Kirby, Eynesford, Lullingstone, Kingsdown, Ridley, Ash, Hartley, Fawkham, Longfield and Southfleet.  Acres, 53,109.  Poor rates in 1862, £17,306.  Population in 1841, 25,366;  in 1861, 32,316.  Houses, 6,053.  Marriages in 1860, 193;  births, 1,050 - of which 51 were illegitimate;  deaths, 568 - of which 213 were at ages under 5 years and 17 at ages above 85.  Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,790;  births, 9,841;  deaths, 5,267.

The places of worship [in the district] in 1851 were 21 of the Church of England, with 6,911 sittings;  8 of Independents, with 1,498 sittings;  10 of Baptists, with 1,448 sittings;  6 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,157 sittings;  1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 196 sittings;  1 undefined, with 230 sittings;  and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 236 sittings.

The schools were 27 public day schools, with 2,661 scholars;  36 private day schools, with 739 scholars;  39 Sunday schools, with 3,142 scholars, and 2 evening schools for adults, with 48 scholars.1
1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales.  (London, England:  A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).

 

Church Registers Census Parish Records Wills &
Court Records

  • Monumental Inscriptions
  • Christenings 1558-1640
  • Christenings 1641-1700
  • Christenings 1701-1775
  • Christenings 1776-1900
  • Marriages 1558-1640
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1776-1900
  • Burials 1558-1640
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1776-1900
  • IGI batch #s, Boyds, Pallots, BVRI, NBI
  • Published Records

  • 1801-1831

  • 1841

  • 1851

  • 1861

  • 1871

  • 1881

  • 1891

  • 1901

  • Settlement Certificates
  • Removal Orders
  • Bastardy Examinations
  • Parish-assisted Immigrants
  • Churchwarden's Accounts
  • Overseer's Accounts
  • Surveyor's Accounts
  • Workhouse Records
  • Pew Rents
  • Donors' Rolls
  • Vestry Minutes
  • Bishops' Visitations
  • Parish Magazines
  • Parish Histories

  • AD index 1448-1857
  • CC index 1448-1857
  • PCC 1338-1858
  • PPR 1858-1925
  • Depositions
  • Quarter Sessions
  • Militia Lists
  • Muster Rolls
  • Description Books
  • Tithe Apportionment c1830s
  • Transportations
  • Protestation Rolls c1641-1643
  • Oaths of Allegiance c1720s
Tax Lists Directories Land Records &
Maps
Other

  • Poll Tax
  • Hearth Tax
  • Window Tax
  • Hair Powder Tax
  • Land Tax Assessments 1780-1831
  • Land Tax Assessments 1799-1805


  • Parish Map
  • Deeds, Mortgages, etc.
  • Rated Property Returns
  • Returns of owners of land, 1873
  • Manor Court Baron
  • Manor Tenancy Rolls
  • Manors, Castles & Holdings of Significance

  • War Memorials
  • Apprenticeships
  • Immigration
  • School Records
  • Notable Events
  • Nefarious Activities
  • Newspapers

 
http://www.kent-opc.org    

Send mail to the Administrator, Kent OPC  or  Contact Us  with questions or comments about this web site.

Kent Online Parish Clerks ©2006, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.

This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.

Date last modified:  1/12/2007 9:45:03 AM