A View of the Parish
Your Online Parish Clerk for Farnborough is:
He is open to receive queries for lookups in any relevant records held at Bromley Local Studies Library, the Record Office for all Bromley parishes.
He can be reached via email at:
kent . matters "at" ntlworld . com
(Replace "at" with the @ symbol and remove any extraneous spaces.)
Farnborough is in the poor law union of Bromley and, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury [from 1860 to 1905 when it was returned to the diocese of Rochester], in the archdeaconry of Maidstone and in the deanery of Dartford. The church is named for St. Giles with registers commencing 1558.
Farnborough is a village and a parish in Bromley district, Kent. The village stands near the direct railway to Tunbridge, 4-1/4 miles southeast-by-south of Bromley; has a post office under Bromley, a railway station, a poolice station, a national school, a large brewery, and a fair on 12 September; was once a market town; and gave the title of baron to the Longs. The parish comprises 1,412 acres. Real property in 1860, £3,055. Population in 1861, 955. Houses, 155. The property is subdivided.
The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Chelsfield, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church was built in the 17th century, and is good.
The Bromley workhouse is here.1
1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales. (London, England: A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).
More information about the parish may be found on the Parish web site and on the Farnborough Village Society website.