Kent horse.gif - 2985 Bytes

Harbledown Parish


Kent Online Parish Clerks
Do you have a photograph of the church that you would like to see posted here?  Email me.

Local Families link Photographs link Parish News link

 

A View of the Parish

Your Online Parish Clerk for Harbledown is:  VACANT.  

Harbledown is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of Canterbury.  The church is named for St. Nicholas with registers commencing 1557.

Harbledown, a village and a parish in Bridge district, Kent.  The village stands near the London, Chatham and Dover railway, 1 mile west of Canterbury;  and has a post office under Canterbury.  It grew around a lazar-house, founded, in 1084, by Archbishop Lanfranc;  and it is "the little town" of Chaucer "which that yeleped is Bob up and down, Under the Blee, in Canterbury way."  The parish includes also the hamlet of Rough Common.  Acres, 1,670.  Real property in 1860, £4,826.  Population in 1861, 655.  Houses, 145.

The lazar-house adjacent to the village was for lepers, and consisted originally of several wooden structures;  was refounded, by Edward VI., for the residence and maintenance of 26 poor men and women;  was rebuilt, with the exception of its church, in the time of James I.;  consists now of a range of cottages and gardens, with central large common hall;  bears the name of St. Nicholas’ hospital;  and has an endowed income of £223.

An excellent spring adjacent to it bears the name of the Black Prince’s well, from a tradition that the water of it was sent to the Black Prince during a severe illness;  and it may have occasioned the selection of the site for the hospital, on account of its reputed virtues.

The upper leather of a shoe of Thomas à Becket, with a crystal set in it, was possessed by the hospital before the Reformation;  and, when pilgrims to Canterbury were passing by, this was usually brought forth by one of the inmates to the steps leading down to the road, and presented, with much reverence, to the better class of pilgrims, to be devoutly kissed as a sacred relic.  A ludicrous account of the performance is given by Erasmus in his "Peregrinatio".  A maple bowl, figured with Guy of Warwick’s killing the dragon, and set with a large crystal, is preserved in a chest in the common hall;  and the crystal on it is supposed to be that which was formerly on Becket’s shoe.

The church of the hospital is partly Norman, partly early English;  consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with western ivy-clad tower;  and contains a curious ancient stone font, and some remains of ancient frescoes.

A farm on which the hospital stands, together with the hospital itself, is exempt from the jurisdiction of the parish, and belongs to Canterbury.

The parochial living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value £383 with a habitable glebe house.  Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury.  The church is ancient;  consists of nave and chancel, with a small tower;  and was recently enlarged and improved.

Rough Common, a hamlet in Harbledown parish, Kent;  near Canterbury.1

1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales.  (London, England:  A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).

 

Church Registers Census Parish Records Wills &
Court Records

  • Monumental Inscriptions
  • Christenings 1558-1640
  • Christenings 1641-1700
  • Christenings 1701-1775
  • Christenings 1776-1900
  • Marriages 1558-1640
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1776-1900
  • Burials 1558-1640
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1776-1900
  • IGI batch #s, Boyds, Pallots, BVRI, NBI
  • Published Records

  • 1801-1831

  • 1841

  • 1851

  • 1861

  • 1871

  • 1881

  • 1891

  • 1901

  • Settlement Certificates
  • Removal Orders
  • Bastardy Examinations
  • Parish-assisted Immigrants
  • Churchwarden's Accounts
  • Overseer's Accounts
  • Surveyor's Accounts
  • Workhouse Records
  • Pew Rents
  • Donors' Rolls
  • Vestry Minutes
  • Bishops' Visitations
  • Parish Magazines
  • Parish Histories

  • AD index 1448-1857
  • CC index 1448-1857
  • PCC 1338-1858
  • PPR 1858-1925
  • Depositions
  • Quarter Sessions
  • Militia Lists
  • Muster Rolls
  • Description Books
  • Tithe Apportionment c1830s
  • Transportations
  • Protestation Rolls c1641-1643
  • Oaths of Allegiance c1720s
Tax Lists Directories Land Records &
Maps
Other

  • Poll Tax
  • Hearth Tax
  • Window Tax
  • Hair Powder Tax
  • Land Tax Assessments 1780-1831
  • Land Tax Assessments 1799-1805


  • Parish Map
  • Deeds, Mortgages, etc.
  • Rated Property Returns
  • Returns of owners of land, 1873
  • Manor Court Baron
  • Manor Tenancy Rolls
  • Manors, Castles & Holdings of Significance

  • War Memorials
  • Apprenticeships
  • Immigration
  • School Records
  • Notable Events
  • Nefarious Activities
  • Newspapers

 
http://www.kent-opc.org    

Send mail to the Administrator, Kent OPC  or  Contact Us  with questions or comments about this web site.

© 2007 Kent Online Parish Clerks, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.

This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.

Date last modified:  5/11/2007 11:43:27 PM