Link to Home page Link to Parish List Link to Vision Statement Link to Volunteer page Link to Donations page Link to Contact page

Local Families link Photographs link Parish News link

 

A View of the Parish

Your Online Parish Clerk for Hever is:  VACANT.  

Hever is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of Ospringe.  The church is named for St. Peter with original registers commencing 1632.

Hever, is a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent.  The village stands near the river Medway, 2-1/2 miles southeast by east of Edenbridge, and 3 southeast of Edenbridge rail station;  and has a post office under Edenbridge, and a small inn with the sign of Henry VIII..  The parish includes also the hamlet of Linkhill, and part of the chapelry of Mark-Beech.  Acres, 2,608.  Real property in 1860, £2,714.  Population in 1861, 626.  Houses, 118.  The property is subdivided.

The manor belonged anciently to the Hevers or Hevres;  passed to the Cobhams and the Brocas;  was purchased, in the time of Henry VI., by Sir Geoffrey Boleyn, great-grandfather of Queen Anne Boleyn;  was given, by Henry VIII., after the death of Anne Boleynís father, to Anne of Cleves;  passed, by gift of Queen Mary, to the Waldegraves;  was purchased, in 1745, by Sir T. Waldo;  and belongs now to Edmund W. M. Waldo, Esq..  A castle on it, close to the Medway, dates from an ancient period;  was rebuilt, in the time of Edward III., by Sir William Hever;  was again refounded by Sir Geoffrey Boleyn, and completed by his grandson, the father of Anne Boleyn;  was the scene of Henry VIII.ís first acquaintance with Anne Boleyn and of his course of courting her;  retains curious traditional associations of his visits to it;  is now an interesting specimen of the domestic architecture of its period;  forms a quadrangle, surrounded by a double moat, and surmounted by high-pitched roofs and gables;  is now occupied as a farm house, but retains its old arrangements;  and was approached by a strongly portcullised gatehouse, which still remains.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value, £600 with a habitable glebe house.  Patron, E. W. M. Waldo, Esq..  The church is mostly decorated English;  consists of nave and chancel, with tower and lofty spire;  and contains an altar tomb of Sir Thomas Boleyn, and memorials of the Cobhams and the Waldos.

There are a British school, and charities £9.

Mark Beech is located on the northern slopes of the Weald, eight miles (13 km) north-west of Tunbridge Wells.  The church, part of a united benefice with Hever and Four Elms, is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.  There is a village hall, a pub - The Kentish Horse, and a thriving cricket club.1

Four Elms is a village within the civil parish of Hever in the Sevenoaks District of Kent, England.  The village is located on a crossroads between Edenbridge and Sevenoaks, two miles (3.2km) northeast of the former place.  The church, part of a united benefice with Hever and Markbeech, is dedicated to St. Paul.

1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales.  (London, England:  A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).

 

Church Registers Census Parish Records Wills &
Court Records

  • Monumental Inscriptions
  • Christenings 1558-1640
  • Christenings 1641-1700
  • Christenings 1701-1775
  • Christenings 1776-1900
  • Marriages 1558-1640
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1776-1900
  • Burials 1558-1640
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1776-1900
  • IGI batch #s, Boyds, Pallots, BVRI, NBI
  • Published Records

  • 1801-1831

  • 1841

  • 1851

  • 1861

  • 1871

  • 1881

  • 1891

  • 1901

  • Settlement Certificates
  • Removal Orders
  • Bastardy Examinations
  • Parish-assisted Immigrants
  • Churchwarden's Accounts
  • Overseer's Accounts
  • Surveyor's Accounts
  • Workhouse Records
  • Pew Rents
  • Donors' Rolls
  • Vestry Minutes
  • Bishops' Visitations
  • Parish Magazines
  • Parish Histories

  • AD index 1448-1857
  • CC index 1448-1857
  • PCC 1338-1858
  • PPR 1858-1925
  • Depositions
  • Quarter Sessions
  • Militia Lists
  • Muster Rolls
  • Description Books
  • Tithe Apportionment c1830s
  • Transportations
  • Protestation Rolls c1641-1643
  • Oaths of Allegiance c1720s
Tax Lists Directories Land Records &
Maps
Other

  • Poll Tax
  • Hearth Tax
  • Window Tax
  • Hair Powder Tax
  • Land Tax Assessments 1780-1831
  • Land Tax Assessments 1799-1805


  • Parish Map
  • Hasted's History
  • Deeds, Mortgages, etc.
  • Rated Property Returns
  • Returns of owners of land, 1873
  • Manor Court Baron
  • Manor Tenancy Rolls
  • Manors, Castles & Holdings of Significance

 
footer divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes
  http://www.kent-opc.org    

Contacts:  Volunteer   Donations & Gifts   Website issues   Advertising   Administrator, Kent OPC for all other enquiries   

© 2008 Kent Online Parish Clerks, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.

This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.       Last Modified:  

 
end page divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes