Kent horse.gif - 2985 Bytes

Tenterden Parish

         Kent Online Parish Clerks

Local Families link Photographs link Parish News link


A View of the Parish

Your Online Parish Clerk for Tenterden is:  VACANT.  

Tenterden is, ecclesiastically, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the archdeaconry of Canterbury and in the deanery of West Charing.  The church is named for St. Mildred with registers commencing 1544.

Tenterden, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Kent.  The town stands on elevated ground, 7 miles west-north-west of Appledore rail station, and 12 miles southwest of Ashford;  was anciently called Thein-warden;  became, in the time of Henry VI, a member of the Rye cinque port, and a municipal borough;  is governed, under the new act, by a mayor, 4 aldermen and 12 councillors;  includes, within its borough boundaries, all Tenterden parish, and part of Ebony;  is a seat of quarter sessions, petty sessions, county courts, and a polling place;  consists chiefly of one street about a mile long;  and has a post office under Staplehurst with a savings bank and a money order office, two other banking offices, a good inn, a town hall and assembly rooms, a small town jail, a church, four dissenting chapels, a new ultra-mural cemetery, an endowed national school with £59 a year and British schools, a female reformatory, a subscription library, an agricultural society, a workhouse, apprenticing charities of £80, other charities of £130, a weekly market on Friday and a fair on the first Monday of May.

The church belonged anciently to St. Augustine’s abbey in Canterbury;  is large and later English, with a lofty pinnacled tower;  and has attached to its north side an exclusorium, in which the martyrs of the time of Mary were confined prior to their removal to Canterbury.  The tower is of a later period than the main body;  was erected in the time of Henry VI;  and is notable for a proverb which alleges that the removal of stone for it, from a sea wall on the east coast, was the cause of the formation of the Goodwin sands.  Population of the borough in 1851, 3,901;  in 1861, 3,762.  Houses, 711.

The parish comprises 8,300 acres.  Real property in 1860, £21,457;  of which £105 are in gas works.  Population in 1851, 3,782;  in 1861, 3,656.  Houses, 692.

Heronden Hall and Finchden are chief residences.  Hales Place and Kenchill were formerly mansions, and are now farmhouses.  A section in the north was constituted a separate charge, under the name of St. Michael, in 1862;  and another section, noticed in Small Hythe, is also a separate charge.  The head living is a vicarage and that of St. Michael is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value of the former, £450 with a habitable glebe house;  of the latter, not reported.  Patrons of the former, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury;  of the latter, S. Beal, Esq..

The sub-district contains 6 parishes.  Acres, 26,372.  Population in 1861, 6,616.  Houses, 1,269.

The district includes also Rolvenden sub-district and comprises 46,889 acres.  Poor rates in 1863, £7,808.  Population in 1851, 11,279;  in 1861, 10,947.  Houses, 2,134.  Marriages in 1863, 69;  births, 329 of which 27 were illegitimate;  deaths, 214 of which 80 were at ages under 5 years and 12 at ages above 85.  Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 762;  births, 3,794;  deaths, 2,146.  The places of worship, in 1851, were 12 of the Church of England, with 4,762 sittings;  5 of Baptists, with 660 sittings;  1 of Unitarian, with 262 sittings;  7 of Wesleyans with 1,210 sittings;  and 4 of Bible Christians, with 518 sittings.

The schools were 14 public day schools with 1,171 scholars;  25 private day schools, with 537 scholars;  23 Sunday schools, with 1,395 scholars;  and 2 evening schools for adults, with 17 scholars.1
1John Marius Wilson, comp. The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales.  (London, England:  A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).


Church Registers Census Parish Records Wills &
Court Records

  • Monumental Inscriptions
  • Christenings 1558-1640
  • Christenings 1641-1700
  • Christenings 1701-1775
  • Christenings 1776-1900
  • Marriages 1558-1640
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1641-1700
  • Marriages 1776-1900
  • Burials 1558-1640
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1641-1700
  • Burials 1776-1900
  • IGI batch #s, Boyds, Pallots, BVRI, NBI
  • Published Records

  • 1801-1831

  • 1841

  • 1851

  • 1861

  • 1871

  • 1881

  • 1891

  • 1901

  • Settlement Certificates
  • Removal Orders
  • Bastardy Examinations
  • Parish-assisted Immigrants
  • Churchwarden's Accounts
  • Overseer's Accounts
  • Surveyor's Accounts
  • Workhouse Records
  • Pew Rents
  • Donors' Rolls
  • Vestry Minutes
  • Bishops' Visitations
  • Parish Magazines
  • Parish Histories

  • AD index 1448-1857
  • CC index 1448-1857
  • PCC 1338-1858
  • PPR 1858-1925
  • Depositions
  • Quarter Sessions
  • Militia Lists
  • Muster Rolls
  • Description Books
  • Tithe Apportionment c1830s
  • Transportations
  • Protestation Rolls c1641-1643
  • Oaths of Allegiance c1720s
Tax Lists Directories Land Records &

  • Poll Tax
  • Hearth Tax
  • Window Tax
  • Hair Powder Tax
  • Land Tax Assessments 1780-1831
  • Land Tax Assessments 1799-1805

  • Parish Map
  • Deeds, Mortgages, etc.
  • Rated Property Returns
  • Returns of owners of land, 1873
  • Manor Court Baron
  • Manor Tenancy Rolls
  • Manors, Castles & Holdings of Significance

  • War Memorials
  • Apprenticeships
  • Immigration
  • School Records
  • Notable Events
  • Nefarious Activities
  • Newspapers    

Send mail to the Administrator, Kent OPC  or  Contact Us  with questions or comments about this web site.

Kent Online Parish Clerks ©2006, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.

This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.

Date last modified:  1/19/2007 8:24:41 AM