A View of the Parish

Sattelite image of Thanet St. Peter, Kent, England
Click on map to view full size on Google Maps.
1881 Ordnance survey map of Thanet St. Peter with link to modern ordnance survey map
Click here for larger image of this 1881 survey.
Click map for modern Ordnance survey map.
Reproduced from Ordnance Survey map data by permission of Ordnance Survey, © Crown copyright.

We are sorry, there is no Online Parish Clerk for this parish.

We have no other information or data for this parish except what is accessed by or detailed on this page.

If you wish to volunteer for this post or have data you wish to contribute, please use the appropriate link at the bottom of this page.

Statistical Summary

Acres:  3,312;  of which 397 are water
OS co-ordinates:  TR380684
Latitude:  51:21.9059N
Longitude:  1:25.1101E

Parish Church:  St. Peter
Registers commence:  1560
Other Denominations:
  St. Mary's Calvinistic Methodist Church
  St. Peter Baptist
Markets:
  Monday - St. Nicholas at Wade
  Wednesday - Ramsgate
  Thursday - Sarre
  Friday - Minster
  Saturday - Monkton, Margate &
  Ramsgate

Fairs:
  Palm Monday - Minster
  30 May - Acol
  13 July - Minster
  22 July - Monkton
  10 Aug - St. Lawrence
  8 Sep - St. Nicholas at Wade
  14 Oct - Sarre

Newspapers:  weekly at Ramsgate
Electoral Place:  Ramsgate
Courts:
  Petty Sessions and County Courts -
  Margate and Ramsgate

Jails:  at St. Clement's, Sandwich


Hospitals:
  Royal National at Westgate
Amenities:
  Post office under Margate
  savings banks
  money order office

Registration District:  Thanet
Poor Law Union:  Thanet 1835-1930
Workhouse:  Minster, Thanet Diocese:  Canterbury
Archdeaconry:  Canterbury
Deanery:  Westbere
Probate:
   pre-1859 - Archdeaconry Court
        of Canterbury

   post-1858 - Principal Probate Registry
Lathe:  St. Augustine
Hundred:  Ringslow
Houses:  604.1
Parishes within 6 mile radius:
  Acol, Ash (Sandwich), Birchington, Chislet, Elmstone, Margate, Minster in Thanet, Monkton, Preston (Ash and Wingham), Ramsgate, Reculver, Sandwich (Sts Clement, Mary and Peter), Sarre, St Nicholas at Wade, Stonar, Stourmouth, Thanet St Lawrence
Greenwood map of St. Peter Thanet as it existed in 1805
Ordnance Survey, First Series Map circa 1805. Click map for larger image.


Domesday Reference:
   None

Principal landholder:
   None

Thanet St. Peter

St. Peter, Thanet, a village and a parish in Thanet district, Kent.  The village stands on a pleasing eminence, 3/4 of a mile west-north-west of Broadstairs rail station, 1-1/2 southwest of the North Foreland, and 2 southeast of Margate;  is a member of Dover cinque port.

The parish contains also the chapelry of Broadstairs [see separate parish page], and the hamlets of Upton, Bromstone, East Dumpton, Fair Street, Westwood, Poor Hole, Sacketts Hill, Buddles, Shallows, Stone, Kingsgate, George Hill, Reading Street, Joss Street, Beards Hill, Callis Court, Callis Grange, Sole Street, Dane Court and parts of North Town, Northwood and Nash.  Acres, 3,312;  of which 397 are water.  Real property in 1860, £19,474.  Population in 1851 2,975;  in 1861, 2,855.  Houses, 604.  The property is much subdivided;  and there are many pleasant residences.

The North Foreland is a prominent feature;  and North Town hill is the highest ground in Thanet.  Water works were constructed in 1859.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value, £540 with a habitable glebe house.  Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury.  The church ranges from Norman to later English;  comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with West tower;  and contains three brasses, monuments to the Dewkners and others, and a tablet to T. Sheridan, Esq..  The tower serves as a seamark, and shows two fissures caused by an earthquake in 1580;  and the churchyard contains the grave of Richard Joy, the Kentish Sampson.  The rectory of Broadstairs is a separate benefice.

There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £30 a year, and charities £200.

Old coins have been found in the cliffs;  and a spermaceti whale, 61 feet long, came ashore in 1762.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury.  Value £260.  Patron, the Vicar of St. Peter.  The church was built in 1828;  and has a tower added in 1852.

A Baptist chapel includes a portion of the old Lady chapel.  There is also a Wesleyan chapel.

Beards Hill, a hamlet in St. Peter's parish, Kent;  2 miles northeast of Ramsgate.

Bromstone, or Bromston, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  near Broadstairs.

Buddles, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  in Thanet, 2 miles north of Ramsgate.

Callis Court, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Thanet, Kent;  2 miles north of Ramsgate.

Callis Grange, a tything in St. Peter parish, Thanet, Kent;  2 miles north of Ramsgate.

Dane Court, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  2 miles southeast of Margate.

East Dumpton, a hamlet in the parishes of St. Lawrence and St. Peter, Kent;  in Thanet district, 1 mile north of Ramsgate.

Fair Street, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  2 miles north of Ramsgate.

George Hill, a hamlet in St. Peter-Thanet parish, Kent;  2 miles north of Ramsgate.

Joss Street, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  near Margate.

Kingsgate, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  on the coast, near the North Foreland, 3 miles East of Margate.  It commands a pass or gate through the cliffs to the sea;  it was originally called Bartholomew-Gate;  and it took its present name from the landing at it, in 1683, of Charles II and the Duke of York.  An actual gate, with portcullis, once guarded the pass but has completely disappeared.  A mansion was built above the gate, toward the middle of last century, by Lord Holland, after the model of Cicero's Roman villa;  and the grounds around it were studded with imitations of ancient buildings and ruins.  The convent and the Castle, two of the most prominent of these buildings, have been converted into private residences.  A coast guard station is at the hamlet.

Nash, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  1-1/2 mile south by east of Margate.  Nash Court here belonged to the priors of Christ church, Canterbury;  and passed to the Garwintons and others.

Northwood, a hamlet in St. Peter and St. Lawrence parishes, Kent;  1 mile north of Ramsgate.

Poor Hole, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  near Margate.

Reading Street, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  2 miles east-south-east of Margate.

Sacketts Hill, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  1-1/2 mile south of Margate.

Shallows, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  near Margate.

Sole Street, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  near Margate.

Stone, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  near Margate.

Upton, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  near Ramsgate.

Westwood, a hamlet in St. Peter parish, Kent;  1 mile north of Ramsgate.1

1John Marius Wilson, comp.  The Imperial Gazatteer of England and Wales. (London, England: A. Fullerton & Co., 1870).

2Edward Hasted, ed. and comp.  The town and parish of Thanet St. Peter: Town and manors, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 4 (1798), pp. 260-307.

3William Page, 1861-1934, ed.  The Victoria County History of Kent, vol. 3, p. 359.(London, England: The St. Catherine Press, Stamford Street, Waterloo, S.E., 1932).

 

Bibliography

Soon to be Added

 

Location of Records

Soon to be Added

Chronology

Soon to be Added

Church Registers




Census

  • 1801-1831

  • 1841

  • 1851

  • 1861

  • 1871

  • 1881

  • 1891

  • 1901


Parish Chest
Records

  • Settlement Certificates
  • Removal Orders
  • Bastardy Examinations
  • Parish-assisted Immigrants
  • Churchwarden's Accounts
  • Overseer's Accounts
  • Surveyor's Accounts
  • Workhouse Records
  • Pew Rents
  • Donors' Rolls
  • Vestry Minutes
  • Bishops' Visitations
  • Parish Magazines
  • Parish Histories

Total Population
(includes Broadstairs)3

1801   -   1568
1811   -   1943
1821   -   2101
1831   -   2342
1841   -   2978
1851   -   2975
1861   -   2855
1871   -   3847
1881   -   4597
1891   -   5661
1901   -   7193
1911   -   10095
1921   -   15471 (est.)


Thanet St. Peter Distance to

London 62.2 mi.
Canterbury 12.2 mi.
Ashford 24.7 mi.
Bromley 56.5 mi.
Chatham 34.2 mi.
Cranbrook 38.7 mi.
Dartford 49.2 mi.
Deptford 59.3 mi.
Dover 16.1 mi.
Faversham 19.0 mi.
Folkestone 20.2 mi.
Gravesend 41.2 mi.
Greenwich 57.5 mi.
Hythe 22.5 mi.
Maidstone 35.0 mi.br> Margate 3.1 mi.br> Milton Regis 25.5 mi.
Queenborough 25.0 mi.
Ramsgate 4.7 mi.
Rochester 36.6 mi.
Sandwich 5.7 mi.
Sheerness 25.3 mi.
Tenterden 34.0 mi.
Tunbridge Wells 48.6 mi.
Woolwich 55.2 mi.


Directories




Municipal & Public Records

  • Freeman, etc.
  • Electoral Roll


Wills & Estate Records

  • AD index 1448-1857
  • CC index 1448-1857
  • PCC 1338-1858
  • PPR 1858-1925
  • Depositions


Court Records

  • Quarter Sessions
  • Transportations
  • Tithe Apportionment c1830s
  • Protestation Rolls c1641-1643
  • Oaths of Allegiance and Supremacy 1662
  • Oaths of Allegiance c1720s


Military Records



Land Records
& Maps


Tax Lists

  • Poll Tax
  • Hearth Tax
  • Window Tax
  • Hair Powder Tax
  • Land Tax Assessments 1780-1831
  • Land Tax Assessments 1799-1805


Other Records

  • Apprenticeships
  • Immigration
  • School Records
  • Notable Events
  • Nefarious Activities
  • Visitation, 1612

Village Resources



 
footer divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes
 

Contacts:   Volunteer      Donations & Gifts      Website issues      Advertising
Administrator, Kent OPC   for all other enquiries.

© 2010 Kent Online Parish Clerks, all rights reserved.  No part of this page or web site may be reproduced either in part or in its' or their entirety in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission of Kent Online Parish Clerks or its' assigns or successors, as the case may be, and the author hereof.  Privacy Policy    Terms of Use

http://www.kent-opc.org         This page was written & produced by Susan D. Young.         Last Modified:  

end page divider.jpg - 2344 Bytes